AuthorTopic: Folio: +Revisiting Old Work. [ C+C ]  (Read 3531 times)

Offline IGameArt

• View Profile

Folio: +Revisiting Old Work. [ C+C ]

on: May 21, 2016, 11:03:58 pm
Hey guys, been a member here for a while but figured I'd finally start a thread. I'm looking to improve my pixelling skills, and eventually my animation. I've been a pixel artist as a hobby for quite a while, and have produced art for a few small indie games, and some bigger-ish indie games. I'm looking to improve my portfolio so that I can hopefully get enough work in pixels to afford me going from full time to part time at my current day job.

Anyways, enough talk, here's my latest work. Each guy in this sheet is a really quick sketch, around 20-30 minutes of pixel tinkering each, no color palette to work from.

I know there are a few issues with the pose and hands on the Rogue Mouse (that's a knife in his hand), and I'd love to see how you guys might tackle something like that, or what I could do to make it feel a bit more robust?

And a caco: 

Some old work that I'm revisiting:

Current status (DB32 Palette):

« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 01:04:19 am by IGameArt »

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Re: First Thread, looking to improve

Reply #1 on: May 22, 2016, 12:00:29 am
If anything, I would have rolled with my mistake on the mouse and done up his poses to be referential to card illustrations.
The way he's holding the dirk puts me in mind of those, you know like the one with the king knifing himself in the head and such.

Without doing that, I'd probably turn his arm so he's holding it downwards in front of his chest, to give him that somewhat-predatory cultish look that's so hep with the kids these days
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline IGameArt

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: May 22, 2016, 01:52:36 am
I decided to go for broke and changed weapons at the last second, I think this actually works out a little bit more in my favor.

Offline IGameArt

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: May 24, 2016, 01:10:10 am
I made another thing today. Inspired after beating Doom 2016, I decided to demake the cacodemon to match the colors of the original and at roughly the same size. This is a little bit smaller.

Offline zoekmath

• Zielach_
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/155410.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: May 24, 2016, 02:36:45 pm
I made another thing today. Inspired after beating Doom 2016, I decided to demake the cacodemon to match the colors of the original and at roughly the same size. This is a little bit smaller.

It looks pretty good, but maybe you should change the blue gradient on the mouth to something maybe darker, without using that many colors.

Offline Oscar Blomqvist

• Passionate game creator working on Runegate.
    • View Profile
    • Runegate - IndieDB

Reply #5 on: May 24, 2016, 03:51:29 pm

It looks pretty good, but maybe you should change the blue gradient on the mouth to something maybe darker, without using that many colors.
It looks great, but I agree with zoekmath that the blue gradient in the mouth looks a bit off.

Offline heyguy

• View Profile

Re: Folio: +Cacodemon Demake. [ C+C ]

Reply #6 on: May 24, 2016, 06:49:47 pm
Really good stuff! I agree with Oscar and zoe about the blue mouth. I think it might look better with a darker color inside the mouth.

Offline IGameArt

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: May 24, 2016, 09:56:20 pm
Being a tremendous fan of Doom, removing the Cacodemon's mouth glow would be against my religion almost lol.

Offline eishiya

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/28889.htm
    • View Profile
    • Website

Reply #8 on: May 24, 2016, 10:26:42 pm
Despite Doom having some not very good art, the original glow is more effective than yours because it looks like there is nasty veiny texture on its glowing insides, whereas yours suggests a very small, boring mouth. The shape of your gradient can be much more interesting and suggest a more menacing mouth form, even if you ignore the texture.

Offline IGameArt

• View Profile

Re: Folio: +Revisiting Old Work. [ C+C ]

Reply #9 on: May 29, 2016, 07:59:35 pm
Improvements?

I'm keeping it symmetrical for now, but there's a chance If i do decide to animate that I'll make it more asymmetrical.

also, here's some old work that I'm revisiting:

Here's my current progress:

More progress:
« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 05:19:21 pm by IGameArt »