AuthorTopic: [WIP] Helicopter  (Read 10307 times)

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Re: [WIP] Helicopter

Reply #20 on: May 22, 2016, 07:35:56 am
The problem seems to be the pillow shading, remember that you're working from a fixed light source! Try not to worry about shadows from the rest of the vehicle too much, you're working with a slightly simpler art style here so you can get away with small things like that here until you are more confident in your shading.
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline BadMoodTaylor

• Lou Bagel: Combo Number Five!
    • @LouBagelCombo5
    • LouBagel
    • View Profile
    • Lou Bagel: Combo Number 5

Reply #21 on: May 22, 2016, 02:06:10 pm
The problem seems to be the pillow shading, remember that you're working from a fixed light source! Try not to worry about shadows from the rest of the vehicle too much, you're working with a slightly simpler art style here so you can get away with small things like that here until you are more confident in your shading.

To clarify do you mean to keep using pillow shading?

I think I was forgetting my light source at times.  Supposed to be top right but am in habit of straight-on slightly above.

Does this sum up your suggestion?

Tried to do some more edits. 
  • Took out a lot of the shading to try and capture the cartoony feel.
  • I moved the door and cockpit glass slightly to the right to try and fill some space.

Does it seem like progress?

Still have questions on:
  • The main part of the body, the area around the door still bothers me.  I removed the door on the bottom one to try and pinpoint what it is . . . or maybe it is the door itself bothering me (but if I look at only the door I like how it looks)
  • Just realized I will probably have to change the legs.  They don't match the style?

Here to learn pixel art.  Feedback always appreciated.

Offline MysteryMeat

• mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #22 on: May 23, 2016, 12:56:50 am
oh, thats' a door? well there's a problem right there, aircraft doors tend to lie flush with the rest of the craft, so all you'd really need to shade there would be the seam where the door opens and closes.
Try to work from reference, it'll help.

Also, don't do the two-part shading thing with your metal gleams here, that's doing too much for what you should be going for here and it looks very out-of-place. Try to keep it to three shades for cell shading: Light tone, mid-tone, and shadow.
I also reccomend looking at some pictures of plexiglass to better understand how light contours around that kind of material.

Offline Reaper_Grimm

• View Profile

Reply #23 on: May 23, 2016, 01:12:55 am

Take it for what its worth to you but the bulkiness of the landing gear was really bothering me and I tried to mess with the shading around the door to make it less "bubbly"

Note: I am horrible at shading, it has never been my forte but I tried to edit the shape of the cockpit as well to make it less "Bubbly" as-well. Just a suggestion! Keep up the great work!
« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 01:38:22 am by Reaper_Grimm »

Offline MysteryMeat

• mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #24 on: May 23, 2016, 03:54:06 am

civilian-grade helicopters actually do have bubbly-looking windows usually.
The thinning on the rail was a good idea but I'm not so sold on the connectors, gives it more of a sturdy appearance.

As for the door the shading and door, I tweaked it a bunch from reaper's edit to better convey what I meant as well as tweaking hte door outline to look less eggy and more as part of the craft. I still think the thicker legs are better, but there's a lot of black being used to shade here and you should try to avoid that as it draws the eye too much and winds up looking way too chunky in most cases.

plus I animated it slightly again because it was easy to do

Remember, try to keep it constrained to three tones! you're trying to get a grasp on conveying form here, you can get into more advanced tricks like that light thing you're attempting once you get better at conceptualizing in 3d space!

Offline Reaper_Grimm

• View Profile

Reply #25 on: May 23, 2016, 04:32:43 am

civilian-grade helicopters actually do have bubbly-looking windows usually.
The thinning on the rail was a good idea but I'm not so sold on the connectors, gives it more of a sturdy appearance.

I'm still learning as a pixel artist but what I meant by a bubbly-looking cockpit was that it literally looked like a bubble was sitting on the helicopter. I cant explain it how I picture it but I tried to make it look as though the window part was more inset of the helicopter instead of protruding out of it.

Offline BadMoodTaylor

• @LouBagelCombo5
    • LouBagel
    • View Profile

Reply #26 on: May 23, 2016, 06:10:21 am
Thank you both for the input.  I will take it all into consideration and work on it soon.

I did start with a reference . . . but then I tried to improvise and make changes off the top of my head.  I guess that's where I got pretty inaccurate.

I do like the redesign you did of the cockpit glass.  I was intentionally making it 'bubbly'.  From memory I was thinking like this (Earthbound helicopter) but it's been so long since I saw that I didn't realize it didn't even bubble that much.

I also intentionally made the door bubbly . . . but I'm not sure why.  Maybe I was thinking about a spaceship hatch, ha.  Definitely would be flush to be aerodynamic.

When in doubt I'll use a reference more, thanks.

Offline MysteryMeat

• mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #27 on: May 23, 2016, 09:35:00 am
When in doubt I'll use a reference more, thanks.

:y:

Offline Reaper_Grimm

• View Profile

Reply #28 on: May 23, 2016, 04:35:10 pm
Quote from: BadMoodTaylor link=topic=20227.msg174396#msg174396
I do like the redesign you did of the cockpit glass.  I was intentionally making it 'bubbly'.  From memory I was thinking like this (Earthbound helicopter) but it's been so long since I saw that I didn't realize it didn't even bubble that much.

;D Keep up the good work!

Offline BadMoodTaylor

• @LouBagelCombo5
    • LouBagel
    • View Profile

Reply #29 on: May 28, 2016, 05:35:29 pm
Worked on it a little more this morning.  What do you think?