AuthorTopic: [WIP] Witch Doctor Beer Label  (Read 4901 times)

Offline morbrorp

• View Profile

[WIP] Witch Doctor Beer Label

on: May 12, 2016, 12:54:18 pm
First post here.

Lately, to get some creative outlet, I have started to design Beer Labels as pixel art. I have made a lot of effort and I feel that this piece is almost finished. I have some questions though.

- Are there any parts of this image that are hard to read, due to noise, stray pixels or lack of contrast?
- Does the style of the title (the actual text) fit the rest of the label or should it be more simple? (less shine, boldness).

I hope my questions make sense.

P.S. The size of the piece is supposed to be blown up to atleast thrice the size to fit a beer bottle.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2016, 02:59:53 pm by morbrorp »

Offline BadMoodTaylor

• Lou Bagel: Combo Number Five!
    • @LouBagelCombo5
    • LouBagel
    • View Profile
    • Lou Bagel: Combo Number 5

Re: [WIP] Witch Doctor Beer Label

Reply #1 on: May 14, 2016, 02:12:21 am
I can read it just fine.

Looks pretty sweet! Is it for an actual beer?
Here to learn pixel art.  Feedback always appreciated.

Offline morbrorp

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: May 14, 2016, 07:22:08 am
Thanks. I will start homebrewing when I move to a bigger apartment, so it's not for an actual real beer yet.

Offline Neometry

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: May 15, 2016, 09:38:19 am
Nice work, I read it easily !

Nice image too

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #4 on: May 15, 2016, 06:08:17 pm
Only crit I really got is that you might want to tone down the crosshatching a bit, it's a bit intense especially on the mask there
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline morbrorp

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: May 17, 2016, 07:16:46 am
Only crit I really got is that you might want to tone down the crosshatching a bit, it's a bit intense especially on the mask there

I see what you are saying. My idea was that the heavy crosshatching added texture to the mask as much as it did shading, but I'll try and see how it looks with less.

Offline morbrorp

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: May 18, 2016, 11:02:08 am
I have tried to clean up the mask and I have two new versions. Any thoughts?

Original:

Less dithering:

No dithering:

Offline eishiya

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/28889.htm
    • View Profile
    • Website

Reply #7 on: May 18, 2016, 12:27:56 pm
I like the "less dithering" version. The "dithering" (is it even dithering at this point?) reads like some interesting texture. The "no dithering" just looks bland/vague with no texture at all. However, I think I prefer the hair in the "no dithering" version, those bits of black didn't seem to serve a purpose.

Offline r1k

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: May 18, 2016, 02:47:21 pm
some of the AA isnt really working, most obviously to me, on the bottom of the arm. The problem is that the dark AA color youre using there is so dark its nearly indistinguishable from the black, and so might as well not even be there. The 2 lighter AA colors are more noticeable, but are also so close to the lighter color they are AAing into that they are not very effective.

It would work better to just take 1 color that is about right inbetween the light color of the arm and the black and use that. You can also make the AA pixels "longer", each color of AA doesnt need to just be a single pixel, especially if youre trying to AA a line at an extreme angle, like in this example. You can stretch that color over 3 or 4 pixels if you need to.

I did an edit showing this. Then I added an extra image on the bottom showing how you could just add the AA color from the middle image, inbetween the AA colors youre already using if you wanted it even smoother.

« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 02:48:54 pm by r1k »

Offline morbrorp

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: May 19, 2016, 06:53:10 am
Thanks for the replies.

eishiya: The more I look at it the more I agree, especially about the hair. I'm going to change that i the middle picture.

r1k: Thanks for the explanation, I'm going to work with that. This is the first time I've tried out AA and therefore I'd like to ask if there's a quick and easy way to find the exact color that lies in between the two other colors. Should the AA consider both hue, saturation and brightness?