AuthorTopic: [DS] School Rush : DKC-like running in Rayman-esque world  (Read 21194 times)

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.
I've got a game ready for release.
You may remember the "C+C" threads when I was working on its graphics back in 2011-2013.

I hope some of you will enjoy it.
download link to May 2016 homebrew release
link to June 6th release, with improved sound effects.

November 2018. Almost there (1-UPs, final screens. Just missing name recording for high scores)

Well. Now to the core question: who else is done with a game (or has just been done lately) ?  Have you ever considered developing on (retro) consoles ?
« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 10:34:13 pm by PypeBros »

Offline PixelPiledriver

• Yo!
    • View Profile
    • My Blog

Re: Who is doing a pixel art game ?

Reply #1 on: May 11, 2016, 07:05:47 pm
Grats!  :)
Will check it out.
And knowing that it is, we seek what it is... ~ Aristotle, Posterior Analytics, Chapter 1

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #2 on: May 14, 2016, 12:26:58 pm
Grats!  :)
Will check it out.
Neat ^_^ I'm eager to know what you thought about it ...

Offline Probo

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: May 15, 2016, 10:23:34 pm
Its a DS homebrew game, PypeBros? Looks cool! Does it run on an emulator because I don't have a ds flashcard!

I'm working on a pixel art game but nowhere near done. god knows when itll be finished. I imagine theres a lot of people here in my predicament XD

Offline FelipeFS

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: May 15, 2016, 11:11:26 pm
Is this a C+C thread? ;D

I am working on a game called Ghouls in the Neighborhood. I would say it is not even 10% done yet. It is inspired mainly in Earthbound.

Here are two images:

I'm making it with my own game engine. I'm targeting Linux and Windos, but I don't know about making for a retro console. But, I think something like PS Vita or a future equivalent would be nice. :)

Offline FelipeFS

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: May 15, 2016, 11:13:02 pm
I've got a game ready for release.
You may remember the "C+C" threads when I was working on its graphics back in 2011-2013.

I hope some of you will enjoy it.

Well. Now to the core question: who else is done with a game (or has just been done lately) ?  Have you ever considered developing on (retro) consoles ?

Your game looks amazing!

... and I'm in love with your blog. So much nice content.

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #6 on: May 16, 2016, 08:34:47 am
Its a DS homebrew game, PypeBros? Looks cool! Does it run on an emulator because I don't have a ds flashcard!
It is indeed a homebrew. I updated the first post with a download link to the NDS. It should work quite well in DeSmuME and my brother managed to have it play quite decently in DraStic emulator for Androïd.

I am working on a game called Ghouls in the Neighborhood ... I'm making it with my own game engine. I'm targeting Linux and Windos, but I don't know about making for a retro console
The engine seems to have many nice features already. Like the way you force your way around the tree. What I love in "retro" consoles is how they take care of screen layout for you with their separate hardware layers. If I wanted that for any screen-buffer-based platform, it would need tons of copies ...

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #7 on: May 16, 2016, 08:36:38 am
I'm working on a pixel art game but nowhere near done. god knows when itll be finished. I imagine theres a lot of people here in my predicament XD
I admit I was more meaning "who is doing a game with pixel art" than "who is doing pixel art for a game". The latter is easies to spot from the C+C threads in the "pixel art" section. But good luck with your project anyway ;)

Offline Probo

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: May 16, 2016, 11:33:06 am
well I hope my game turns out as well as yours has! I'm an awful programmer :D

I downloaded the latest DeSmuME and played it, it seems really cool. looks nice, and its fun to play. catchy music too. Getting a real Rayman feel from it, from the looks to the handling to the soundtrack. Only problem is, I'm getting a lot of slowdown when theres a few objects on screen. Is that an emulation problem?

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #9 on: May 16, 2016, 04:18:44 pm
Only problem is, I'm getting a lot of slowdown when theres a few objects on screen. Is that an emulation problem?
I hope this is only an emulator issue. It should be. Unless your version of DeSmuME is different from mine, it should display the frame-per-second in the title bar. If you see it falling below 60fps, then it means the emulator cannot keep the pace. maybe you can disable scaling / anti-aliasing to get more FPS.
If it sticks at 60fps but you still have slow downs, then there's an issue with the game engine itself, and I'll have to look into it (and then, it would be helpful if you can snapshot a few places in the level where it happens).