AuthorTopic: Pin-Up hair  (Read 2516 times)

Offline Zouch

• View Profile

Pin-Up hair

on: May 09, 2016, 04:21:23 am
So guys, i'm working a lot to make a pin up character. Starting from the head/hair. I need some sugestions, and critiques about it.

Also: draw eyes still tiring. Any help is welcome.

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Re: Pin-Up hair

Reply #1 on: May 09, 2016, 04:23:19 am
Outer edge of the face looks a bit rough, I'd soften that up with a bit of aliasing if you can or give it an outline of some description to distract from it.
I think the mouth might also be a pixel or two too far to the right, but don't quote me on that
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline Chadtech

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: May 09, 2016, 07:46:33 am

Her cheek bone was just a bit jaring, so I made just one quick change on it.
0 I moved the reflection closer to the front of her face, just like the reflection on her forehead.
1 I erased the light shading close to the lower right side of that cheek-color-patch. It gave the impression that her cheek peaks at two different places.
2 I adjusted the outer most color of her cheek to be a bit darker.

Otherwise it looks pretty good. Better than I could do.

Offline 32

• @AngusDoolan
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/19827.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: May 09, 2016, 11:01:20 am
I would suggest sketching out the body before you spend too much time on the head. You might find that the pose of the head doesn't fit the pose of the body and you'll end up having to rework all of it. Always work from the most general to the specific.

Offline Tourist

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: May 10, 2016, 01:48:41 am
I like how you've done the curly hair.

On the face:
Lighting is inconsistent. 

Facial structure is not quite right.  Mouth is on the side of the head, features are misaligned.  I recommend using some references to figure out the relative positions of the features.  No time for an edit, but this might get you started:

Noses are larger than your brain likes to remember.  Nostrils are often visible.  The mouth should be closer to the long line of the cheek.  The ear (and the lines in the hair above the ear) need to tilt with the head.  The base of the nose and the upper lip should tilt a bit.

Strong light from above and to the side of a tilted head will highlight the outer edge of the eye socket, and then on to either the top or center of the cheek bone (depending on angles).

Pixeling a head with a tilt and a twist can be a bit tough, but you're working at a good size for it.

Good luck,  keep at it.
Tourist