AuthorTopic: Generation 1 Pokemon (ongoing)  (Read 1632 times)

Offline Discipol

• View Profile

Generation 1 Pokemon (ongoing)

on: May 09, 2016, 12:41:16 pm
Hello friends! I recently started doing pixel art, I am a game developer by trade. Please comment and feedback on any aspect of the following pixel art image. Don't hold back, I am not made of glass ;) Don't fear you might hurt my feelings, I know I will make a lot of crap until the period where I will sometimes make good things among crap I will still make :D

I want to make all Generation 1 pokemons, then do another series of tutorials & then another pass on dem pokemons, remaking some from scratch if I can't salvage them.

Some of the pokemons have a red X, its to signify my disappointment. Beedrill and the one under him is one example.
Inspiration: http://pokemondb.net/pokedex/national

Offline Curly

• View Profile

Re: Generation 1 Pokemon (ongoing)

Reply #1 on: May 09, 2016, 10:33:21 pm
I wouldn't know what Vulpix is supposed to be if I saw it alone. It lacks contrast and it's too small to be readable.
That's just the most obvious example, but a lot of them share the same problem.
You should try to make them larger and maybe using a palette from someone else :)

Offline heyguy

• View Profile

Re: Generation 1 Pokemon (ongoing)

Reply #2 on: May 10, 2016, 12:45:58 am
Hey Discipol! I think some of these a nice and are good bases to work from. I think the shapes or silhouettes of your Pokemon look a bit off. Your Pokemon seem to be missing features too. That probably has to do with the size you drew your sprites. Your Blastoise doesn't have it's large shell. Butterfree only has one wing. Pikachu's tail doesn't have it two pieces. Charizards arms aren't very clear.

I recommend you take one specific Pokemon (like Blastoise or Charizard) are redo it, post it on here and get some feedback regarding your art. I found this site that have every sprite created for Blastoise. They probably have all the Pokemon. Look at actual drawings of Pokemon anime and check out the games sprite work too.

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Blastoise_%28Pok%C3%A9mon%29