AuthorTopic: [C+C] Anatriscix  (Read 2580 times)

Offline zoekmath

• Zielach_
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/155410.htm
    • View Profile

[C+C] Anatriscix

on: May 05, 2016, 04:33:25 pm
Hey guys, I've been working on something huge for the last few days, and I've been trying new techniques that I hope you like!
The shadowings use from 3 to 5 colors,and they are done a way that it give them different tones, while recreating the texture of wood (or grass).
Now, the monster Anatriscix, the incarnation of nature, my biggest project:

Please zoom in the image to see all the details.

I haven't animated it as it would require days of work, and I also want to work on something else.
You can use it if you credit me.

Note: The "stone" on his chest is not stone, it is another kind of wood.

Please, give me your opinion about this work and what should I improve as it really helps me. Also, it would help me if you told if I am doing the shadowing well. Thanks!

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Re: [C+C] Anatriscix

Reply #1 on: May 05, 2016, 08:08:40 pm
There is much texture details, but imho too little contrast, making the whole character hard to look at. Contrast is a great way to add volume, too. And at some places (esp. the front arm), you could definitely use more detailed volume, with a clearer lightsource.
That could be sketched on a flat-color copy of your picture first, imho, so that you can try several combinations before blending them into the final picture.

Don't hesitate to make those vines-stuff (greens) swirl more to give them a more organic look.

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: May 06, 2016, 12:07:19 pm
Good effort with the texturing but really u should focus much more on communicating the forms using stronger light and dark before getting into pixel level detail.
Texture really must follow after form and lighting.
To quote Cyangmou "major form > minor form".

Offline zoekmath

• Zielach_
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/155410.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: May 06, 2016, 06:55:42 pm
Good effort with the texturing but really u should focus much more on communicating the forms using stronger light and dark before getting into pixel level detail.
Texture really must follow after form and lighting.
To quote Cyangmou "major form > minor form".

There is much texture details, but imho too little contrast, making the whole character hard to look at. Contrast is a great way to add volume, too. And at some places (esp. the front arm), you could definitely use more detailed volume, with a clearer lightsource.
That could be sketched on a flat-color copy of your picture first, imho, so that you can try several combinations before blending them into the final picture.

Don't hesitate to make those vines-stuff (greens) swirl more to give them a more organic look.
Thanks, guys. I'll try to improve those errors for the next drawings.

Offline Hillstylelife

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: May 15, 2016, 02:52:53 am
I think it looks pretty good, next try experimenting with hue shifting to make your colours less bland.