AuthorTopic: Spudman of Consequence.  (Read 3894 times)

Offline Godslayer

• View Profile

Spudman of Consequence.

on: September 27, 2006, 11:58:46 pm

View the Spudman! !yus!

I thought I had gone far enough to take critique on this whilst finishing, cutting back on the tedious business of post-completed editing.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2006, 12:51:26 am by Godslayer »
How long can the floor creak before it loses its voice?

Offline Joel

• View Profile

Re: Spudman of Consequence.

Reply #1 on: September 28, 2006, 03:47:59 am
I like the sharp sort of highlighting you're doing with this, it's very interesting. While the jaw/mouth seems to be the most complete part of the piece so far, I would probably just say while the geometric/sharp shading looks good, some parts aren't quite smoothed out enough like the sunken in part under his cheek bone, compared to his actual cheek which is sharp but at the same time smooth and fluid. Probably should let you do more work on this before I can give much useful critique.

He is a very cool character. :)

Offline VictorR

• Let's fighting love..
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: September 28, 2006, 03:51:47 am
I don't seem to get the color shemes for this type of style. :-\

Very nice so far, the jaw seems a little too sharp with the chin.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2006, 04:37:07 am by VictorR »

Offline Faktablad

• grow
    • View Profile
    • Couchpixel

Reply #3 on: September 28, 2006, 04:08:24 am
I love the shapes you've managed to represent with the colors you have; Especially the indentations for the eyes, like the spaces left in a rock when you take a diamond out of it.  Not particularly digging the bright straight highlight on the edge of his forhead, and the shadow under his cheekbone is a bit much, especially given the lightsource.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #4 on: September 28, 2006, 06:17:07 am
Good work for 8 colors. You're using diagonals so much you don't need more shades for AA, which is a very neat trick. Why not give him squinty but human-like eyes? I love the eyebrows. Also, ears?

Offline Godslayer

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: September 28, 2006, 11:44:36 am

I'm sorry I havent had the opportunity to actualy adress your critique, but I will after I come home from school. This is as far as I got before I had to hit the sack yesterday.

Joel: Thanks, Spudmen are pretty awetacular. I dont quite understand your critique however, could you attempt again in somemore detail?

Victor: What dont you get about the colors? And what type of style is this to you?

Faktablad: I'm glad that you noticed his eye socket things! Which cheek are you refering too?

Helm: Thanks. I hardly even considered the 45 degree angle thing, but your correct, how nifty. I'll see what I can do with the eyes, and ears.
How long can the floor creak before it loses its voice?

Offline Faktablad

• grow
    • View Profile
    • Couchpixel

Reply #6 on: September 30, 2006, 02:42:30 am

Faktablad: I'm glad that you noticed his eye socket things! Which cheek are you refering too?
His left cheek.

Offline Joel

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: September 30, 2006, 03:18:56 pm
Sorry I didn't make enough sense. I've circled it in a picture for you.

The 2x4 block of pixels for example, tend to stick out a little to me. I know this is a quite different style of pixel art to what I'm used to, but this part seems to bug me a little. As a comparison, the right cheek is also very geometrical, but it appears as a much smoother highlight, but the shadow below it isn't very smooth at all.