AuthorTopic: [C+C] Tree (Might evolve to general environ.)  (Read 2007 times)

Offline Sawtan

• View Profile

[C+C] Tree (Might evolve to general environ.)

on: May 01, 2016, 11:33:16 am
Hey folks!

Completely new here, so this post will be my pixelation cherry!
I'm trying to improve on general environment pixels right now, working with a whole range of minor projects (fantasy to sci-fi). But one part that I feel a great need to improve on is trees, they're great to have for making a baseline when it comes to atmosphere and sets the bar on what quality the game will have graphically.

There's a lot of art styles you can use, but I'm tending towards the ol' snes rpg square enix classics. I've just started my tree creation career and hope to evolve with your help, so here's what I've got thus far, will take a shot on doing a pine tree as well and see if I can apply similar construction.

C&C's are most welcome! And I hope to become a part of the community!

Cheerz!

Offline Pusty

• I like cheese
    • View Profile

Re: [C+C] Tree (Might evolve to general environ.)

Reply #1 on: May 01, 2016, 05:04:56 pm
Hello and welcome!
I really like the leaf shading you did there! But I'm not sure if I understand the dark blue and purple. (Looks like you haven't put the right colors in yet).
I also think that the leaves handing down look more like a willow tree and not like a generic one like the one you did there. (But that may just be me. I'm not that good with trees so I don't know if it fits haha :D)
Just a random hobby gamedev passing by O:
[Ludum Dare][Itch.io]

Offline eishiya

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/28889.htm
    • View Profile
    • Website

Reply #2 on: May 01, 2016, 05:57:54 pm
I'm also not liking the leaves hanging down very much. They're a cool idea, but they don't match the large, wider leaf shapes you've drawn at the top of the tree.

The blue and purple are rather abrupt, they don't feel like part of the same ramp, because your dark greens have approximately the same hue (very firmly in the green range), while the blue jumps abruptly into blue and the purple is very abruptly purple. The purple being so light also doesn't really make sense because it looks like you have a secondary light source that's emitting purple light, rather than as a shadow that just happens to look purple in contrast to the yellow sunlight.

Try to break up the silhouette of the tree. Right now it looks like some very smooth balls with leaf-texture painted on them. Try having the leaves actually stick out of the tree. Here's a rough pixel-over to show what I mean:

(I also made your two darker greens bluer for a smoother transition and made the blue darker, and got rid of the purple bit.)

Offline Sawtan

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: May 01, 2016, 06:47:05 pm
@Pusty: Great crit, and yeah, now when I look at it it's definitely off! Changing that right away! You're also right on the second part, don't think I gave that good enough thought really, looks like vines that shouldn't be there :)

@eishiya: Ohh also awesome crit, I've fluffed the tree up some, and adjusted the color ramps, I wanted them to harmonize some more so the trunk color got more red-shifted and to the purple in it's dark and the leaves got a more smooth blue-shift at the shadowside.

I'm starting to love this place already! Thanks for the great welcome! And here's an updated version! I'm still up for more crits if you have some thoughts and pointers to give! :)