AuthorTopic: Molten Foundry tileset  (Read 7116 times)

Offline rologfos

• View Profile

Re: Molten Foundry tileset

Reply #10 on: April 25, 2016, 06:22:44 pm
I think the lava looks fantastically stylized, almost like a red counter part to boiling acid hazards.

While it doesn't look realistic, it fits really well. And if you look back at some older platformers you'll see the same kind of lava.

Like in Zero Mission

Or Fusion

Edit : Wow those pictures are really low quality, but hopefully you get the idea.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 06:45:09 am by rologfos »

Offline AnimatedTako

• AnimatedTako
    • AnimatedTako
    • AnimatedTako
    • View Profile
    • My pixel art

Reply #11 on: April 26, 2016, 04:07:05 am
I think this look fantastic, overall! My only comment would be that I appreciate the highlight on the underside of the mid-ground pipe edges; and I'd love to see the same effect on the green platforms, considering they're so close to the lava.

Offline untiedgames

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: April 27, 2016, 12:13:44 am
Wow, lots of comments! I'll try to respond to everyone.

Do you have a place where I could see all the other 28 tilesets as pictures?
I do! A full list is available here: http://untiedgames.com/assets/

For the lava, to make it a bit smoother, the trick is to make several lava animations that all tile together and randomly use them.
I think the lava is very busy.
The random variation is a great idea. If I do a second version of this tileset, I'll try and make it smoother. I think I either need more frames, or less violent motion of the lava in order to smooth it out and reduce business.

Molten rock and molten metal are opaque. Plus, they're that colour because they're glowing, so even if they were translucent, the glow would still make them effectively opaque because it would drown out anything darker that's seen through them.
Yup, I'm aware of this! It was a stylistic choice to make the columns stand out through the lava. In the tileset I also include a version of the lava that is opaque, so people can use it any way they want. (And that WAS a very good description of lava!)

What Eishiya said regarding the lava being too bubbly. It looks like water. Maybe if it had fewer bubbles? Maybe if it 'peeled' open like lava does? Or, what if the lava moved in larger motions, since lava has very high viscosity?
In terms of peeling open, do you refer to the bubbles when they burst? I could try tweaking the animation to do this, it might make it a little less abrupt when they pop.

I think this look fantastic, overall! My only comment would be that I appreciate the highlight on the underside of the mid-ground pipe edges; and I'd love to see the same effect on the green platforms, considering they're so close to the lava.
I definitely agree with you there! Realistically, there should be a highlight on the bottom of those platforms. Usually I try to make the highlights in the terrain indicate where the player can stand and collide with the terrain, but I think I can figure something out to get a highlight on the underside without detracting from the appearance of collision.

Thank you for all the feedback!  ;D

Offline eishiya

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/28889.htm
    • View Profile
    • Website

Reply #13 on: April 27, 2016, 12:17:02 am
I think making a "highlight" that's not very light in value but has a warm hue would work nicely for showing the light from beneath without reading like a playable area.

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #14 on: April 28, 2016, 11:21:18 am
First i wanna say welcome and i love this mockup its great  :y:

Some ideas.?

Gil makes good points on readability that is obvious to many of our eyes but im torn about the idea of darkening the pillars as i think they add great intensity to the scene.
Instead how about restricting that brighter gold colour to the lower areas where they dont cross the playable area?
And u can maybe fade to much darker near the top and experiment with another hue such as purple-blue (orange's compliment).
I do like the strong vertical element though so good to try to maintain that imo.

Re watery lava an idea is that we can't see so much detail of the framework through the liquid.
Instead we see vague lighter areas blurred by viscosity.

Offline Friend

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: April 29, 2016, 03:44:55 am
hey just wanted to say this is very very very awesome!!!!!!!!  im in love with it.

regarding the bubbles, a break in uniformity would probably go a long way. 

dont worry about what is correct and natural too much.  we already get it is lava.  focus on making it look and feel good