AuthorTopic: Green Nina Girl (struggling with legs)[C+C]  (Read 6449 times)

Offline Meruvian

• View Profile

Re: Green Nina Girl (struggling with legs)[C+C]

Reply #10 on: April 25, 2016, 12:38:08 am
This might help, but i feel like the other edits were better but whatever.

Draco this is creaking awesome! Your heels are amazing! I was really struggling with heels (thus the 3 mock ups) in the image.

Your post helps just as much as the other edits! So thank you for that.

In fact, my next question was going to be about shading, and you've done it here so well! know any good resources or material I could use to learn more about shading me light? I'll add it to my reading list after Loomis' book lol

I'm new art Pixel art and I'm definitely up for meeting other pixel artists! so feel free to send me a message!

Offline Meruvian

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: April 25, 2016, 10:36:44 pm

sorry for the late reply guys! I have been at work!

so I have read everything you guys have said multiple times and I have made the following changes:
- I have started using bigger canvas sizes so I don't squash my drawing into a small space
- i am gonna start practicing drawing an outline to get the proportions and the general 'gesture' of the drawing down before I focus on the details
- I have picked up the book by Loomis suggested by Hagane, (and confirmed by Lachrymose) and have already rad the first chapter today.

I have uploaded my first 'wire drawing' just to show you guys that I am actively making changes, it looks a little silly, I know, but I will keep practicing. Thank you all so much for your incredibly helpful responses and even taking the time to create edits to show me, I have got so much out of it. I am gonna be practicing this for a while!

Thank you very much Guys and Girls!  :)

p.s: how do I mark this thread as 'solved' or the equivalent?
I'm new art Pixel art and I'm definitely up for meeting other pixel artists! so feel free to send me a message!

Offline eishiya

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/28889.htm
    • View Profile
    • Website

Reply #12 on: April 25, 2016, 11:35:06 pm
Be careful with the proportions. Your new sketch has legs and arms of different lengths xP

You can edit your first post to add [CLOSED] or [SOLVED] to the thread topic, if you want. However, I recommend keeping it open and posting your progress :D

Offline Meruvian

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: April 25, 2016, 11:48:19 pm
Be careful with the proportions. Your new sketch has legs and arms of different lengths xP

You can edit your first post to add [CLOSED] or [SOLVED] to the thread topic, if you want. However, I recommend keeping it open and posting your progress :D

Legs and arms are supposed to be the same length lol Got It! Again, THANK YOU for the feedback I really am learning from all of this Eishiya :)

And okay, I'll keep the thread open to post my progress, I'll try to do it weekly or something :)

Offline lachrymose

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: April 26, 2016, 12:20:20 am
Hmmm, you are very very very stiff and reserved.

You need to relax your drawing more, be more loose.
Work on a larger canvas. You can always resize.

I think it would be good for you to follow Stan Prokopenko. He has a free series of videos that you can find here:
Proko.com

It even tells you where to start, just follow the videos in order. Feel free to post here for feedback on any completed exercises.

Offline Hagane

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: April 26, 2016, 01:41:38 am
The new pose could still have slightly longer legs, particularly her left one which right now is shorter than her right. Count the pixels with your drawing program, either use a square selection or line tool to measure the limbs in pixels as all programs show you this info somewhere. This is a clear improvement over the previous proportions though.

Offline kullenberg

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: April 27, 2016, 08:54:23 am

Agree with the other crits.
I would advice you to look up and study the contraposto, which is a classic figure drawing pose. It teaches you fundamental aspects of weight, balance, rythm etc. It's a assymetrical position in that most of the weight is carried by one leg. This causes the hip on that side to push up, and the torso tilts in that direction as a compensation. Try to see the hips and the torso as boxes. Look how the edges of the boxes are closer at one side in my sketch and the direction indicated by the lines on the skeleton.

I think it's best to practice figure drawing on paper or a tablet though. It's easier (but not easy ;) )to figure it out on paper first before dealing with making a abstract figure out of square blocks. But keep doing pixel art for the sake of doing pixel art.