AuthorTopic: Drawing a planet  (Read 5842 times)

Offline Chadtech

• View Profile

Drawing a planet

on: April 25, 2016, 05:23:18 pm
Im working on a space ship game (http://www.chadtech.us/elm-prac-7 , controls are the keys e, s, c, u, k, n, and space). I drew up this planet just to have a video game asset to play around with. I dont think I am close to being finished with the drawing, but I am not sure how to proceed. Right now its just two colors representing landmasses and oceans. I figure I need to start drawing clouds and surface features, but it sounds pretty daunting. Any advice on how to proceed?

an in-game shot

Offline Chadtech

• View Profile

Re: Drawing a planet

Reply #1 on: April 25, 2016, 06:11:05 pm

Here is my natural inclination of how to add surface features. Im pretty sure this isnt going to work tho.

Offline eishiya

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/28889.htm
    • View Profile
    • Website

Reply #2 on: April 25, 2016, 09:04:52 pm
If you're going to have terrain detail at all, you should think about the atmosphere first. No atmosphere is transparent. Earth's atmosphere is thin and transparent enough that you can see terrain through it, but a lot of detail is lost, and there are clouds to complicate matters. On Venus, it's always cloudy and though there is a rocky surface, you can't see it from space.

The atmosphere will reduce the amount of detail you can see to the major, large features. Deserts, wooded areas, snowy areas, etc will all show up, mostly melding softly into each other, even though in reality the transitions are closer to being stippled, the alternations don't show up at that scale. Dithering is appropriate to use since it's also basically stippling that looks like a smooth transition. Vertical features are usually too small relative to the size of the planet to be visible, so it's all about large-scale horizontal features. Even Mars's Valles Marineris has very little discernible depth when seen from space.

Think about the scale. How big does a feature have to be to be 1px wide? You drew beaches on some of the shores, but if that's an earth-line planet, then that means 1px of beach is over 100miles wide!

By the way, your game looks very dark. I have to squint to make out the details. Even the lander is hard to make out. Space, because there's no atmosphere getting in the way, can actually be quite bright, especially near planets that are close enough to stars to have what looks like liquid water.

Offline Chadtech

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: April 26, 2016, 12:52:04 am
Thanks eishiya.

I turned up the contrast on all my assets

I think that was for the best.

I understanding what you mean by one pixel being 100 miles. It doesnt seem possible to draw earth like features on a square 100 mile resolution. So am I drawing biomes, rather than surface features? In that case, do I just need a huge color palette and just sorta splotch them onto the surface?

Offline eishiya

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/28889.htm
    • View Profile
    • Website

Reply #4 on: April 26, 2016, 02:35:40 am
Higher contrast looks nice!

Yeah, biomes rather than features is a good way to think about it. You don't necessarily need a huge palette, though. For Earth you could easily get away with a couple of greens for different woodlands, and a few warm browns for sandy and rocky deserts and steppes, and a couple of cool browns for snowy mountainous areas. True-colour space photos (e.g. Earth as seen from the ISS) are really your best bet to see what you need! Water can generally be quite a solid dark blue (the shallow parts that would be a light blue tend to be small enough to be invisible at this scale), though eventually you'll probably want sunglint and/or an atmosphere, which will require some lighter blues.

Offline Chadtech

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: April 26, 2016, 09:40:57 pm

Cool I like that better. More colors, and less contrast between them.

EDIT: another update
« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 10:21:16 pm by Chadtech »

Offline Chadtech

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: April 28, 2016, 06:24:58 am
Im starting to feel like I can draw clouds.

Offline Chadtech

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: May 02, 2016, 04:43:08 am

Its coming along. This is taking forever tho.

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #8 on: May 03, 2016, 07:23:29 am
well you're doin pretty good man, keep at it
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline Chadtech

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: May 05, 2016, 09:39:14 pm
Here is where I am at.

Not sure about that river. I think its all cloud drawing from here on out.