AuthorTopic: Water animation problem  (Read 3528 times)

Offline Beetleking22

• View Profile

Water animation problem

on: April 23, 2016, 06:16:30 pm
Im working on Mariovania like game with my brother. Im animating water first time and im really dont know  what Im doing right and what Im doing wrong.. I would love to hear some  criticism.. It looks busy right now because I was plan to add small  waterfall..

« Last Edit: April 24, 2016, 08:47:50 pm by Beetleking22 »

Offline astraldata

• View Profile
    • MUGEN ZERO

Re: Water animation problem

Reply #1 on: April 26, 2016, 08:15:46 am
Right or wrong is relative, unfortunately -- and this is especially true when you only have 3 colors present.

You'd have to give more context to what the rest of the game's assets look like before it's possible to help you. Perhaps some calm water? Some rocks/characters? Anything to help us identify the style of the game visually. It may need more detail. It may need less detail.

Without something to anchor us toward what you're going for, there's no way for us to know what you need.

It looks like a convincing enough waterfall splash area, assuming this is the one tile where a wide-ish waterfall less than the size of this image width-wise was dripping/sprinkling into. I wouldn't use it for a heavy flow though, as you'd need more splashback for that. That's about all I can offer with what I see. Sorry.
I'm offering free pixel-art mentorship for promising pixel artists. For details, click here.

http://mugenzero.userboard.net/

Offline Beetleking22

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: April 26, 2016, 08:23:07 pm
Right or wrong is relative, unfortunately -- and this is especially true when you only have 3 colors present.

You'd have to give more context to what the rest of the game's assets look like before it's possible to help you. Perhaps some calm water? Some rocks/characters? Anything to help us identify the style of the game visually. It may need more detail. It may need less detail.

Without something to anchor us toward what you're going for, there's no way for us to know what you need.

It looks like a convincing enough waterfall splash area, assuming this is the one tile where a wide-ish waterfall less than the size of this image width-wise was dripping/sprinkling into. I wouldn't use it for a heavy flow though, as you'd need more splashback for that. That's about all I can offer with what I see. Sorry.

Ah sorry! I dont want spoil my new asset..here are some old examples..

Its simplistic style.

This is supposed to be the waterfall that are falling in the water pool that I posted.

« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 08:24:56 pm by Beetleking22 »

Offline astraldata

• View Profile
    • MUGEN ZERO

Reply #3 on: April 26, 2016, 08:46:02 pm
Ah, I see. That helps a lot.

You'd definitely need to concentrate the bubbling more into the center of the tile with perhaps more bubbles going deeper into the middle of the tile in a sort of downwards arc (assuming your flow isn't wider than the waterfall you put here). What you have right now would work for a wider waterfall (a little less than the width of your water tile) with a less-concentrated flow, but since your flow is a bit more concentrated, you need to show that by making either the center of the water tile bulge downward more than on the edges, or you need to make the edges less bubbly/chaotic to indicate contrast with the sloshing of the concentrated flow in the middle of the tile.

Hope this helps. Great looking art otherwise! :)
I'm offering free pixel-art mentorship for promising pixel artists. For details, click here.

http://mugenzero.userboard.net/

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #4 on: April 26, 2016, 09:51:58 pm
I'd say to have it make more of this kind of shape to wrap around where the waterfall hits:
_-^^---^^-_
So sort of a burbly little M shape before flattening on into the normal water tiles, presuming there are some
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline Beetleking22

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: May 17, 2016, 08:28:58 am
Ah, I see. That helps a lot.

You'd definitely need to concentrate the bubbling more into the center of the tile with perhaps more bubbles going deeper into the middle of the tile in a sort of downwards arc (assuming your flow isn't wider than the waterfall you put here). What you have right now would work for a wider waterfall (a little less than the width of your water tile) with a less-concentrated flow, but since your flow is a bit more concentrated, you need to show that by making either the center of the water tile bulge downward more than on the edges, or you need to make the edges less bubbly/chaotic to indicate contrast with the sloshing of the concentrated flow in the middle of the tile.

Hope this helps. Great looking art otherwise! :)

I reworked the whole water animation and thank u both  for the tips!  It might not fits with the background that I posted but It definitely fits with my new assets.. Actually the there is like 1/3 Small + big ones waterfalls falling in tho the water..  So I want make it very busy looking.

I figured out that I dont need  create water animation that is moving straightway.. I can create slow parallax scrolling  that makes it moving..

It looks like this without slow parallax.. Im really happy how its turned.. Now im gonna add Waterfalls, bubbles, Lilys, fishes, Light, etc.

« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 06:58:13 pm by PixelPiledriver »