AuthorTopic: hero of time  (Read 25837 times)

Offline GOODNIGHTdestroyer

• Unf Unf.
    • View Profile

Re: hero of time

Reply #50 on: October 30, 2006, 05:46:31 pm
Taka: I, too, do not understand the logic and reasoning behind your idea of having a LOZ game. Although having link in your game would be an attention grabber for some, it will also be a turn off for others. But if you were to create your own, dynamic looking, original character then I am positive you would get more attention. People like original games more, original ideas. They want to see how far your creativity can take you.

You really ought to rethink creating your own character with the same animation before you get too far into it.
And I am finally seeing that you were the one worth eating.

Offline Darien

• ...nine...ten...draw!
    • View Profile

Reply #51 on: October 30, 2006, 06:16:40 pm
for shallow attention grabbing ;)

I think destroyer is right, a new and original game sporting such unique and professional looking graphics like these would gather much more excitement than a fangame.  I can't really think of any fangames that are highly respected and have a lot of attention thrown at them.  But then you have things like Cave Story and people gobble it up.  In my opinion making a fangame puts you on the same level as those who write Harry Potter fanfiction.  Those people are unoriginal and uninspired who gather no attention at all and no one respects them for what they do.  No matter how hard they try, they are not going to beat JK Rowling at writing Harry Potter, and you're not going to beat Nintendo at making Zelda, so everyone already knows not to expect but a poor imitation.

I know you've probably had enough of everyone arguing this point but the reason that everyone keeps arguing about it, I think, is that we all like how this looks and it's very promising and refreshing, and we want to play YOUR game, not Nintendo's.

EDIT: I guess I missed this:

I get what youre saying, and if I planned on making a real game I would absolutely use my own characters.
I will ofcourse keep these sprites as bases for perhaps a real project in the future

Sorry for continuing to argue this when you already acknowledged the validity of the points made and continue to go with it, I see I won't change your mind. 
« Last Edit: October 30, 2006, 06:25:29 pm by Darien »

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest

Reply #52 on: October 31, 2006, 01:59:24 am
Im sorry I seem to just not accept your advice, Im starting to feel like an ass  :crazy:
but I have been thinking about this thing for a while. I think once its finished you might agree that its not a big deal really, just remember that all you can do in this is walk, theres no story, or even a title screen- its just a different way of presenting some stuff Ive made, and I think the only way the average gamer would be interested in checking it out is if it had a character theyre familar with.
just to make sure you guys didnt miss it;

any crits?
« Last Edit: October 31, 2006, 02:03:29 am by .TakaM »
Life without knowledge is death in disguise

Offline BadMrBox

• Bringer of Apocalypse
    • View Profile
    • Ragnarok Games

Reply #53 on: October 31, 2006, 02:03:48 am
I like the upward animation  ;). The left and right animation, I don't like that much. As many has said before, - It looks like ragdoll.
If it's only gonna be a walkaround demo then go for link if you want to have him.

Offline Dogmeat

• YOKOYAMA
    • View Profile
    • Mindcrank

Reply #54 on: October 31, 2006, 02:39:58 am
Holy wow,

This is one of the better Link characters that I've seen in a long while.

The animation is nice and smooth. The only thing I would reccomend is changing the outline, during the animation the AA makes the integrity of the image fade away a little. I would suggest trying it with a dark outline, a light outline, a medium one and the current one you have. Run them on a background and see which one looks best.
Daisuke Nagano Yokoyama

Offline Dhaos

• View Profile
    • Crystal Tech Studios

Reply #55 on: October 31, 2006, 03:43:56 am
Lovely work, the animations are quite smooth, and those tiles are excellant. Very colorful and stylish. However the animations could use some tweaking.

The north-walk animation is somewhat blurry on various frames, perhaps you should reduce some of the AA/sub-pixel movement. While smooth the details inconsistantly get lost during the movement. Also the shadow seems to be getting larger during one of the frames, unless you're trying to emulate a 'bounce' of the scabbard. If so it should tilt from \ to | (just no where near as extreame, just a few pixels of straightening) during the 'bounce' of the walk. Also perhaps his hat would cast a shadow on his back and the scabbard?

Are you going to try SE/SW NE/NW movement as well? Those are quite tricky to do, you could have some fun experiementing with them.

Offline vedsten

• boo
    • View Profile

Reply #56 on: October 31, 2006, 05:16:00 pm
crits:

dir E/W: I think you should try involving the whole body a tad more, right now the torso looks pretty seperated from the arms/legs, also, the 1pix movement of his hood doesn't look too good. In my experience, you have to exagerate the movement a bit more if you want it to work, or alternetly just go for no movement.

dir N: Agree on the jumpy pixels on the arms, the AA should be reduced, also, the movement of the arms seem to peak in a different frame than the legs

Can't say i'm too fond of the style, but i can definatly appreciate the fact that it's unique, and the time you've put into this :y:

Offline Willows

• View Profile

Reply #57 on: October 31, 2006, 05:41:15 pm
Dunno whether or not it's been mentioned already, but on the side walking animations, his hand appears to have no vertical motion outside that of the entire sprite. It basically just drifts left and right.

OR.

Maybe I'm crazy.