AuthorTopic: High Roller (CC/WIP)  (Read 3376 times)

Offline Limes

• View Profile

High Roller (CC/WIP)

on: April 20, 2016, 07:02:00 pm
Here is my first serious pixel in over a year so might be rusty but I have a good feeling about this one. The basic Idea is a ritzy man overlooking a gambling table rolling die and sipping wine. It was intended to be for the pixeljoint challenge but I only made the die for it.

« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 07:06:09 pm by Limes »
GraphicsGale

Offline tsej

• View Profile
    • Art and Code

Re: High Roller (CC/WIP)

Reply #1 on: April 20, 2016, 07:46:20 pm
Well, there isn't really much for us to work with here :sry:
It's too rough. What do you want critique on? The dice? The rough lines on the face?
We don't know what you have in mind beside the 2 lines you've given. Do you want us to finish the piece for you?

I would suggest doing more by yourself, then coming for C+C. Put in some more effort!

Besides that,  the lower dice looks wonky. I think it's too wide.

I am not trying to be condescending, sorry if it comes out that way.
Have a good day! Looking forward to see more.

Edit: I see, sorry for that.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 09:47:33 pm by tsej »
Correct me if I'm wrong

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #2 on: April 20, 2016, 09:25:30 pm
You might want to be careful with the head. It's hard to judge, but I think the forehead is way too low. Eyes are about halfway down the head usually, so the forehead + brow should take up way more space than you provide.

You might want to sketch in a few parts of the scene so we can help out with composition. It's hard to judge a scene without a general idea of all the parts involved.

Tsej: it's an early WIP, that's fine, that's not a lack of effort, he's just showing it early. Obviously he doesn't want us to finish the piece for him.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 09:28:05 pm by Gil »

Offline Limes

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: April 21, 2016, 08:10:57 pm
Hey thanks for the crit, I mainly do portraits outside of pixel art so I am confused as to how I even made that mistake :P.

Yes it's a WIP I wasn't looking for some hardcore CC on the early scribbles of my piece but I like to post ALL the stages of my WIP that way its easier for me to go back to a further version so I (and you) can see the progression.
I am a little bit worried about the angle and how Im going to get the table down but I'll figure it out for sure. I generally don't ever do big pieces unless I make something I like and start to draw around it filling in holes, a horrible strategy for composition but I am not too worried about composition I understand all that stuff what I am focusing on is my technique with pixels instead of stuff that applies to all kinds of art.
GraphicsGale

Offline Limes

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: April 22, 2016, 07:31:46 pm

Updated. I got a Palette in the works and the sketch for the hand, will clean up later today.

One thing I want help on is the facial expression.

Eyes were too high fixed :)

Chin fixed

Few self notes...
ears uneven. Nose too wide. Please do point out anything I am missing.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 07:38:19 pm by Limes »
GraphicsGale

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: April 23, 2016, 08:12:55 am
Something like the Original chin looked more interesting to me like he was older more character.
Just remember eyes are normally 50% the way up the skull.
Can't see top of head but it kinda looks like below the eyes is a bit too long.

Offline Limes

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: April 23, 2016, 10:49:19 am

working on the expression

LMAO I got the head pointing 3 pixels left but the face is like 5 pixels to the right!

Final for tonight, Ill try and get some more stuff in there to crit but I would like to get the shape of the head first.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2016, 11:42:14 am by Limes »
GraphicsGale