AuthorTopic: Stone pillar  (Read 6034 times)

Offline pentaSTAR

• View Profile

Stone pillar

on: April 16, 2016, 01:56:35 pm
Hi, this is my first topic here.

I'm trying to make stone pillar in 3/4 perspective.

I made this only for exercise, and it's not a part of anything bigger.

1) tile

2) Pillar

I've some problems when I was making top tile, and still I'm not sure if it looks good.

I hope you will give me some advices!
« Last Edit: April 17, 2016, 09:25:26 am by pentaSTAR »

Offline EyeCraft

• What are you scared of?
    • View Profile
    • Death By Dev

Re: Stone pillar

Reply #1 on: April 17, 2016, 01:53:39 am
Hi pentaSTAR, welcome to the forum :)

I think this is quite a nice start you have here with this piece. One thing to be aware of when working on something with a lot of texture is to think of the most significant forms when lighting. The large, overall shape of the structure will dominate how it is lit.

In this case the shape of the pillar is a tall rectangular prism, so each face (we can only see 2 here, the top and one side) will receive different levels of light. Depending of the positioning of your major lightsource either your wall will be brighter or the top will be brighter.

So with your piece, if the pillar was in an interior, such as a dungeon, the walls will be brighter and the tops almost total darkness. If it is outside, the sun overhead will light the top more. I've assumed the later and made a quick edit to show you what I mean:

So in summary: don't let the textures steal your focus when lighting!

Other points:

Grey subjects such as stone are excellent opportunities to play with tinted light. In my edit I added blues and greens to the shadows to imply bounced light from a blue sky and green field. The yellow tint you have present already works well in the brighter tones, where the yellow sunlight would be striking.

Always try pushing your highlights all the way up to near-white. This will help you to fight washed-out contrast and give vibrancy to your lit surfaces. Note the bright specular points on the corners of the stone in my edit. These parts are directly facing the assumed sun position.

Finally, regarding your pixels, be careful which colours are neighbouring which other colours. There are a lot of instances in your tiles where a very bright tone is directly against a very dark tone. This has the effect of implying an incredibly sharp edge - something that clashes with the rounded silhouettes of the stones themselves. Have a look at the stone work in my edit and try to find places in the tiling where I softened the edges. Though don't take what I've done as a finished state by any means, I did a very meagre pass on it :)

Also be careful with creating pixel noise when add rough texture. Spattering some pixels here-and-there can disrupt larger, clean pixel clusters and confuse the forms your are setting out to imply. With pixelling its often better to work in larger clusters rather than small ones where possible (single pixels of course being the smallest cluster possible!). I hope that makes sense.

Offline pentaSTAR

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: April 17, 2016, 02:19:26 pm
Thank You!  ;D

Your tips are very helpful! Sometimes I forget about light in 3D and I'm starting to think only in 2D - I create texture and overall shape, but then I add some lights and everything is still flat.

I will try to create more objects and build a different light situations, maybe I become more familiar with lights and shadows.

I'm going to make better palletes with not only darker shades of one colour, but also with another hue.

PS. Sorry for any lang. mistakes - my english is a bit rusty  :)

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: April 17, 2016, 10:50:07 pm
The most important bit is not that complex.
Just make sure u have a strong enough difference between the horizontal and vertical planes.
The horizontal needs to be noticeably brighter as its catching more light (and thus usually a warmer hue than cool shadowy areas).

And generally there is a highlight between the 2 planes as edges typically pick up more light.
How sharp/bright the highlight is depends on the material.

Offline Cyangmou

• cyangmou
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/32234.htm
    • cyangmou
    • View Profile
    • Pixwerk Homepage

Reply #4 on: April 19, 2016, 12:45:40 am
It's quite ok what you have. Rock solid so to speak, especially for a beginner =)
But like most beginners you fell in the trap of overemphasizing details, before thinking of the big picture in it's most simplified form. This is really hard, but if you want to get better you really should practice looking at th ebig things before you get lost in all those tiny rocks.

You also said it's an unique piece i really wouldn't go for tiles.
Tiles are great to quickly map down textures. They work quite good for grass, dirt and that stuff.
If you can avoid it I wouldn't recommend using them within objects, because they tend to make stuff repetitive and dead looking.

Maybe this helps:
"Because the beauty of the human body is that it hasn't a single muscle which doesn't serve its purpose; that there's not a line wasted; that every detail of it fits one idea, the idea of a man and the life of a man."

Dev-Art
Twitter

Offline pentaSTAR

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: April 20, 2016, 08:16:19 am
Thanks for response!

Today I'll try Your method @Cyangmou. It seems to be better way to achieve more "organic" look of stone.

One question about colors - in steps 1-4 I saw one color ramp then you have swapped old pallete with new or just added new colors?

//Edit

Ok, I made this (I don't know how to set up alpha channel in GraphicsGale... so magenta is "transparent" ;D)

and version made with tiles

« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 07:44:04 pm by pentaSTAR »