AuthorTopic: All of my work. Which ones are good and which ones are bad?  (Read 7394 times)

Offline wzl

• View Profile

Re: All of my work. Which ones are good and which ones are bad?

Reply #10 on: April 21, 2016, 08:24:44 am
the reason the attitudes are like this is because there's a super egotistical group that formed out of the members here and they have driven away a lot of people

look no further than the slack chat to find this group, they frequently talk negatively about everyone there, it's no surprise that their negative attitudes are now leaking into the forum
Sorry to derail this, but i'm wondering if you made a new account to post this to dodge any discussion on this? It might be a valid point, so feel free to open a discussion about it if you think it is detremental to the community. Otherwise you're just passive agressively blaming a sub group of people for no reason, effectively doing the same that you blame others to do.

Offline tsej

• View Profile
    • Art and Code

Reply #11 on: April 21, 2016, 05:23:24 pm
@Capta1n_Henry Hey man, great that you're trying to draw and get better! I would recommend trying to learn some fundamentals of art itself. That will go a long way in your improvement and you'll see the results instantly. Books like "Fun with a Pencil" by Loomis is an amazing start. You can practice pixelart while learning the fundamentals and solidifying them. Remember that at the end of the day, practice and hardwork will go a long way in your improvement. Just looking at tutorials and reading will not help you if you don't DO it. You can always post here for critiques and comments and iterate on your pieces based on feedback.
Remember to experiment and have fun!

@supremeartists you're probably never logging in here now anyways, but can you show me some screencaps of the chat and the negative atmosphere and people, with context of course. I'd love to see these evil people that plague our community! I also acknowledge that this is a bait, but I don't really care. Enough attention for you today :crazy:
Correct me if I'm wrong

Offline supremeartists

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: April 21, 2016, 06:02:43 pm
i wasn't planning on adding anything else but wanted to point out that members of the community possibly including moderators/admins tried to uncover and share my ip in the chat as an attempt to no doubt try to attack me for stating my opinion, so if that's that kind of community you want to run and participate in then ok i'm the bad guy, luckily i knew they would try to do something like that so i took measures to protect my privacy

Offline tsej

• View Profile
    • Art and Code

Reply #13 on: April 21, 2016, 06:27:29 pm
Hollow accusations. Please provide proof. I am not going to respond anymore, and I only did because I know nothing like that happened. No one in this community is malicious enough to do harm/trace your location, I can guarantee that.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 07:31:47 pm by tsej »
Correct me if I'm wrong

Offline DracoDragon42

• @DracoDragon42
    • View Profile

Reply #14 on: April 21, 2016, 07:09:54 pm
@Capta1n_Henry, some of your pieces are already pretty good, and with some practice you could make them a lot better. This one:

its pretty good already, you have a lot of volumes defined and you have nice character design. In my opinion, this robot guy would look a lot better if you made him smaller, so that you don't have to worry about small details and such.

The next piece I want to comment on is this:

This character is actually pretty good, I just cant tell what is going on with the face/hat area. So yeah, thats my critique.

Offline Indigo

• Administrator
  • Artist, Indie Game Dev
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/849.htm
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Reply #15 on: April 21, 2016, 07:29:48 pm
i wasn't planning on adding anything else but wanted to point out that members of the community possibly including moderators/admins tried to uncover and share my ip in the chat as an attempt to no doubt try to attack me for stating my opinion, so if that's that kind of community you want to run and participate in then ok i'm the bad guy, luckily i knew they would try to do something like that so i took measures to protect my privacy

You're referring to me, I'm sure.  for the record I never intended to share your IP or identity (nor did I), I just looked it up myself to see if it was unique or if it was associated with another account here so I might understand the issue you're describing better.  I am definitely concerned for the well being of our members and don't want this to be a toxic place for anyone.  I truly haven't noticed what you're describing in the Slack, but then again I'm not too active there.  Since this is a total derailment of this thread, I'd suggest we take this into PMs so you can let me know what you feel and work out ways to resolve any issues there might be.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 05:57:10 pm by Indigo »

Offline Capta1n_Henry

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: April 21, 2016, 07:57:15 pm
Thanks for the critiques guys

Offline 0xDB

• Dennis inter-is.
    • dennisbusch_de
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/1287.htm
    • 0xdb
    • View Profile
    • 0xDB

Reply #17 on: April 22, 2016, 09:14:55 am
@Capta1n_Henry:
Look into fundamentals like Construction and Projection. Those are just two of many skillsets to acquire that will help you get better at translating an idea in your head into a believable working representation of the idea in the form of a picture like PPD provided.

@supremeartists:
I wanted to let go of it but my mind seems to be unable to at this point and thanks to mild OCD, I feel obligated to say this for my own peace of mind. I would like you to be aware of the fact that by creating and hiding behind a sockpuppet account and by throwing vague, random and undirected accusations indiscriminately at basically everyone in slack instead of bringing it to the mods in private with concrete incidents and specific names of the supposed attacks/attackers for them to analyze and take action, you have succeeded at creating a feeling of general distrust and uneasyness of being monitored in the slack(of course I only speak for myself with expressing this feeling). By that, you are creating a huge amount of negativity yourself and by it you are displaying the very negative attitude that you claim to have identified in the mysterious unnamed and unspecified group of egotistic elitists(which I can not see there, so maybe it's not anyone else but your judgement, your interpretation of their behavior? or maybe I am part of that group and thus fail to see it?).

You accuse people of talking negative about "everyone", yet here you are the only one that does just that, you being the one who unspecifically throws everyone on slack into a bucket by not naming that "egotistical group" that you claim to exist there and that you feel to have identified and that supposedly has driven away "a lot of people"(another unspecific generalization).

I too feel that activity has declined in slack but I think that's mainly because of "noise" that comes natural within un-moderated chats and members finding that hanging out in slack too much has a bad influence on their productivity.

So, intentional or not, this kind of behaviour of yours could easily be interpreted as trolling( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_troll ), an attempt of yours to sow distrust and undermine the usually friendly atmosphere. Again, not saying you're doing this intentionally (yet) but be aware of the negative impact of sock-puppeting. It does not help your cause (unless your cause is indeed of sinister nature).

Be peace and remember rule #1 "Don't be an ass.".

Offline Mnots

• @_Mnots
    • http://pixeljoint.com/pixels/profile.asp#iv
    • View Profile
    • Livingston Games

Reply #18 on: April 22, 2016, 11:26:03 am
@0xDB Well said! I've personally never encountered any sort of hostility from the people here, and have been a lurker for a long time.

Me: Just sitting here like "Wtf is 'slack' anyway?"

Offline Limes

• View Profile

Reply #19 on: April 22, 2016, 05:33:36 pm
From my experience on here and on pixeljoint.
The only hostility I ever come across is when people give critique then and the receiver of the critique doesn't listen or just ignore their critique. And even then the hostility is usually accounted for if ever called out they always own up to it and apologize. I find the pixel art community's to be one of the more respectable bunches.

What I see here is people being impatient. Stuff can get confusing to newer members and I would expect to see encouragement from the community to help him get better. We were all like this at one point, so show some patience and respect. 
« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 05:40:49 pm by Limes »
GraphicsGale