AuthorTopic: First drawing  (Read 1717 times)

Offline wsbruzzi

• View Profile

First drawing

on: April 18, 2016, 04:31:31 pm
Hello, so I've started researching and watching videos of pixel artists to see if I can do myself a little pixel art.

This is my first model which I was kinda satisfied with, been on it for 3 days now.

Based on this, can you tell what I need to learn next?

« Last Edit: April 18, 2016, 04:45:31 pm by wsbruzzi »

Offline Glak

• View Profile

Re: First drawing

Reply #1 on: April 19, 2016, 03:30:39 am
That's a nice start.  Focus on having a consistent light source.  For example in your image the wizard is holding a glowing ball of green light.  Everything angled towards that light should be brighter and greener from the green light that the ball emits  Everything angled away should be darker and less green.  You sort of did this on his arm, with the lighter area facing the magic, but if you look at the hat you will see that you did the opposite.

If you work on making a consistent light source and at the same time reduce the number of colors per thing (for example, 2-3 colors in the hat instead of the 4+ that you have) then you will also have a much easier time showing volume.  Right now everything in your image looks flat.

Offline Iceaxe

• View Profile

Re: First drawing

Reply #2 on: April 19, 2016, 07:30:17 am
You've got a pretty good idea of what you're doing. I've given you something to go off what Glak was suggesting.

Defining your light source is very important, and when everything in the image reacts to that light source it will give a lot of depth and shape to your characters. When there's an element in an image that should be producing light but there is no light bouncing off other objects, the element begins to feel as though it doesn't exist properly in the world you are viewing. This is just as important when dealing with shadows.

Despite his skinny right (our left) forearm and the tail of his robe, I didn't change his overall shape, only the colors and lighting being applied to his person. I did change the fireball and his eyes but that was kind of just fun...  :P  The number of colors can easily be reduced but I hadn't bothered to do so. Just remember contrast is your friend, the dark parts on his robe were almost the same color as the base color.

Give the lighting more of a tweak and see how you go! Good Luck!  ;D