AuthorTopic: [Rev-share] We need experienced 2D artists for a complex farming RPG  (Read 2766 times)

Offline AerianR

• View Profile
Hello everyone. I'm Rennie, part of a team of five, and we've started development on a huge farming RPG that we need an artist's (or several artists') help with.

We're committed to getting this game on Steam Greenlight and confident that it will be a success. I've been planning this game slowly over the course of the last several years and now I'm ready to move it forward and make it a reality.

A bit about the game:

This game is every farming RPG ever on steroids and with a fantasy twist. There's a huge number of things to do: Farm, fish, mine, customize your character/farm/home/town, run a shop, hunt, breed, tame, and very in-depth relationships with the ability to have or adopt children that will age and mature into adults. There's so much more, but I'm trying to keep the detail low here. More information will be available to anyone we take on once they sign an NDA.

What we're looking for:

We need an artist that can produce detailed, colorful, vibrant, readable backgrounds. Think of the art you see in games like Chrono Trigger, Seiken Densetsu 2, Final Fantasy VI, and so on. As the art director, I need someone capable of taking direction and working from reference sheets to get the desired look for the game.

We also need someone capable of making human, animal, and monster sprites. Humans will need to just be nude bases, and I will finish the details on them such as clothing and hair. I've made human bases as well as some tiles, but they aren't great. The general style we're looking for would be like Disgaea sprites. If you're only good at one or two of these things, that's fine, too.

Finally, we need someone that will be able to animate many movements, from walking, running, jumping, attacking with many different weapons, and a few special motions for specific NPCs. Animations will also be needed for the animals, monsters, and small background pieces (like animating a few leaves on a tree). The animations do not have to be over the top or have a dozen frames, but should be polished, fluid, and have personality, or some pep.

We need someone that can be present and working at least 2-3 days a week, without dropping off unexpectedly for weeks on end. We need someone that can be as committed to this as we are. There's no set time you have to 'check in' by, but know that I'm in EST and online from around 6PM-2AM.

------

We do have plans to get this game Kickstarted down the line, once we have enough art and code together to make a cohesive prototype. When that happens, part of the funds from the Kickstarter will be specifically for the artists, so as long as we can get a successful product out there, you will get paid. But with all start-up indie groups, just know that there's always a chance things could fall through.

We do not currently have any screenshots or gameplay to show as development is in the early stages. However, here are a two of the things I've completed this far, and an idea of the style we're aiming towards. These aren't final:

http://imgur.com/UoHDD3I

http://imgur.com/fWHfSvZ

Our coders have many, many years of experience under their belts and have a few completed projects, but none that I was a part of. A few years back, I worked on the newly released F2P browser-based game Wulves, in which I created the avatars, avatar system, NPCs, and many other various art assets. This is my first actual 2D executable game project, however.

If you're interested or have any questions, feel free to reply here, PM me, or email at this username@hotmail.com with some examples of your work and I'll try to respond promptly.

« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 08:17:57 am by AerianR »

Offline thewizard

• Programmer, Pixel Artist, Animator and more
    • View Profile
you should play star dew valley http://store.steampowered.com/app/413150

Offline AerianR

• View Profile
you should play star dew valley http://store.steampowered.com/app/413150

I've played it, and it's why I decided to start fully focusing on my game. SDV is great and I like it a lot, but I still was left disappointed by some aspects of it that I've always wanted to see in a farming game.

Basically, the idea is to expand far out from farming so that gameplay is nowhere near as repetitive, and to also make befriending townspeople much more enjoyable. Never cared for it in Harvest Moon or Rune Factory and don't like it in Stardew Valley, either. It's a simple game of cramming gifts down their throats until they like you. My aim is to drastically change that.

Offline thewizard

• Programmer, Pixel Artist, Animator and more
    • View Profile
A great way to get artist to help on your project is to have a demo/screen shots and show prier experience on others games that you have made because projects like this take months and months. 

Offline AerianR

• View Profile
Thanks! I've modified the OP. =]