AuthorTopic: [CC] #lowrezjam adventure game critique  (Read 2604 times)

Offline BinaryMoon

• View Profile
    • Binary Moon

[CC] #lowrezjam adventure game critique

on: April 12, 2016, 07:52:54 am
Hi - I'd love to get some critique for the art in my adventure game that I'm making for the #lowrezjam.

The screenshots are bigger than 1x since they are just that - screenshots. The game is at a 64x64 resolution - but it scales to fill the screen. This means the pixels may not be 100% square - I apologize for that.

The palette is db32 - but there's a bit of transparency being used so it's not 100% accurate.

I'd love to get any feedback on the artwork. Colours, shapes, shading. Anything that will improve how the game looks.

Thanks in advance! :)

Offline Glak

• View Profile

Re: [CC] #lowrezjam adventure game critique

Reply #1 on: April 12, 2016, 05:28:47 pm
It is very easy to read most things, so great job there.  The one exception is the red rug in the third picture.  The way that it interacts with the wall and the edge of the screen makes it look like it could be a tall object in front of the wall.

Offline BinaryMoon

• View Profile
    • Binary Moon

Reply #2 on: April 13, 2016, 10:23:37 pm
thanks for the feedback. I see what you mean.

I think it makes more sense when you play the game since the character stands on top of the carpet. Not sure how to make it look more integrated. I guess maybe some more muted colours might help?

Offline Glak

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: April 14, 2016, 02:49:22 am
My guess it that it won't actually be a problem at all in-game.  You could make it so that the carpet continues off of the top using side pieces instead of using all corner pieces.

In addition to looking good your art also makes the game look fun.  It reminds me of many of the fun games I played when I was a kid.

Offline BinaryMoon

• View Profile
    • Binary Moon

Reply #4 on: April 15, 2016, 07:20:28 am

I rejigged the room so that the carpet shouldn't be an issue anymore. The games live now so you can see it in action - https://binarymoon.itch.io/the-legend-of-dad-quest-for-milk

Am still looking for feedback so I can improve the game further.

Offline Glak

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: April 15, 2016, 09:30:56 pm
I can find two bottles of milk.  I also found the fairy queen's grave.  I have no idea what the dark spots are and I am stuck.  Is there a button besides the movement keys?  The game is fun.