AuthorTopic: Operation Hardcore Character portraits - Looking for C+C  (Read 1784 times)

Offline Keops

• RibsChirino
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/189965.htm
    • View Profile
    • Behance portfolio
Hey Pixelation! It's been a while since I posted anything here!

I'm currently working on a game called Operation Hardcore (http://store.steampowered.com/app/395550/ @ Steam, and the website is www.operationhardcore.com) and I'm one half of the team behind the game, working mostly on art assets and some other tasks. I am currently working on portrait art of the characters for use in the introduction cinematic. I made one portrait for each of the four characters and I'm really interested in getting some feedback from the community over here. All kinds of C+C are welcome and I'll be sure to make edits based on every useful comment or critique I get :)

After several hours and many tweaks, I can say that I'm overall satisfied with them, but there are a couple of things I'm not sure I like 100% and are bothering me:
- The shading/shape of the cowboy hat in Country's portrait.
- The hair texture for Brother's hair.
- The shading/folds of the fabric in Road Rash and Country.

Also, the anatomy of the characters is cartoonish/comic book like, so it's not aiming to be very realistic, but any anatomy advice is welcome too! I might have some glaring mistakes that I don't notice.

Here are the portraits:

Well, that's it, really looking forward to hearing your input on this! Thanks!

See you around!

Keops
Hearthstead: Art thread - Website - Twitter

COMMISSIONS OPEN! Behance portfolio

Offline rocifier

• View Profile

Re: Operation Hardcore Character portraits - Looking for C+C

Reply #1 on: April 12, 2016, 03:29:10 am
I really like these. The cowboy hat doesnt bother me at all but his left eye does, there is a very hard line on the side of his eye next to the nose which is making it difficult to read the form of his nose - how wide is it?. Also I think the bottom of his huge cheek bones should be shaded darker. Now it looks awkwardly flat compared to the outline. Is he bald under the hat? Thinking more of composition and adjusting the angle of the scarf to counter balance the hat might also help things overall in the portrait.

The second guy with the huge neck - I think the sides of the neck are too exaggerated. Even the heftiest of body builders can't work out the sternocleidomasto muscles that much:

Even if they could, there are two muscles on each side there, not one, and they have significant lengths of tendons at each end. And yeah yeah cartoon. But, anatomy. Lol. I recommend giving him larger trapezius instead.

The afro guy, I think you need to shade his hair more as a sphere. It's quite flat. I think that's more of a problem than the texture. Also his muzzle connects to his nose - I'd allow a bit of space there for the sides of his upper lip. It's drawing unwanted attention how it is.

First guy is pretty good. His head is slightly smaller than the others is my only critique at the moment. I guess his arm looks a bit like a stump
« Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 08:25:08 am by rocifier »

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Re: Operation Hardcore Character portraits - Looking for C+C

Reply #2 on: April 13, 2016, 07:39:32 am
I think the shading on the afro is mostly ok but you need to put some noise around the dark area's edge I think to keep implying the curliness in his hair, the line is way too smooth for that kind of texture I feel.
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |