AuthorTopic: Working on my first sprite...[C+C]  (Read 1734 times)

Offline Jam Damage

• View Profile

Working on my first sprite...[C+C]

on: April 11, 2016, 09:28:06 pm
I've always been fascinated with pixel art, but only recently tried my hand at it. I grew up playing Lucasarts point/click adventure games like Monkey Island and The Dig. I love the style of those games. I've started working on a platformer starring a certain politician. I'm trying to dial in to a minimalistic style, but not too minimal. Suggestions?
Also, I'm using a low framerate for the animations. Is this a common thing for certain aesthetics?
I look forward to being a part of the community!
Thanks

Offline wanderingarchaeopteryx

• wanderingarchaeopteryx
    • View Profile

Re: Working on my first sprite...[C+C]

Reply #1 on: July 12, 2016, 02:39:05 pm
If you're not sure whether you like the framerates, you should test them first. In my opinion the frames are too low, that it would just look like a cycling image. Also, on your first sprite, try using lower resolution, then work your way up. Some people even stayed on a low resolution but made an amazing art, some are even better than higher resolution. Also, higher resolution tend to need more frames, as it wouldn't seem right. If you are trying the 4-frame walk cycle, try using lower res.

Offline Curly

• View Profile

Re: Working on my first sprite...[C+C]

Reply #2 on: July 12, 2016, 04:04:49 pm
I like the character ;D, but the lightning is weird.
Stablish a light source and paint the highlights as if the sprite had volume. A bright outline at one side of the character doesn't mean a lot :P
(quick edit)