AuthorTopic: Henriette  (Read 3549 times)

Offline Keops

• RibsChirino
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/189965.htm
    • View Profile
    • Behance portfolio

Henriette

on: September 26, 2006, 12:43:09 pm
Hello guys (and girls).

I made this piece a short while ago and I thought it'd be good to share with you all. It's not for any particular purpose, I just made the line art and then tried various color palettes. At first I was looking for a soft, washed out, almost glowing look, but then I upped the contrast and I think I found a more interesting palette. What do you think? I'm not too sure I'm going to further work on this, but as always, any comments or crits are appreciated! Enjoy and be sure to let me know what you think.

See ya!
Hearthstead: Art thread - Website - Twitter

COMMISSIONS OPEN! Behance portfolio

Offline junkboy

• jnkboy
    • jnkboy
    • View Profile

Re: Henriette

Reply #1 on: September 26, 2006, 01:58:59 pm
Very cute lineart and cosy colors. I like the lower-right and upper-left versions best. I am however not too big on the blushing-effect you've made, I think it should be a lot more subtle. Right now it looks more like she's been slapped around by her evil stepmother, or something.  :-\

Offline AlexHW

• View Profile
    • AlexHW

Reply #2 on: September 26, 2006, 05:34:03 pm
very nice, it looks like those papers where you put water on them to reveal their color.. or atleast that is what it reminds me of..
I agree with junkboy though about the blush effect, they look like small concave areas due to the harshness of them, a more subtle looks would suffice, definately..

Offline Keops

• RibsChirino
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/189965.htm
    • View Profile
    • Behance portfolio

Reply #3 on: September 26, 2006, 05:41:38 pm
Hmm both of you kind of have a point there, I guess that when I upped the contrast the blush started to get too dark compared to the pale skin so it looks like a rash heh

At any rate I was aiming for something like the old Heidi anime, here's an image I googled:

I might beef this piece later and I'll be sure to try and soften the blushing a bit then.

Thanks for the comments guys
Hearthstead: Art thread - Website - Twitter

COMMISSIONS OPEN! Behance portfolio

Offline CrumbBread

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: September 26, 2006, 07:17:34 pm
Very nice! =) Only things that bother me are the blush as mentioned before, and the eyebrow-over-top-of-the-hair thing. The reason the blush looks funny to me, I think, is because it's so much darker in the middle that it looks like a bruise or a monster pimple. The Heidi pic you posted only has one shade for the blush and it works much nicer.

You might could go for black pupils, though I guess I don't know if that's within the anime guidelines ^_^

The top two are my favorites -- sorry for not offering any pixel-level crits but right now I am in a mood to just look at pretty pictures  ::)

Offline Weasel

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: September 26, 2006, 07:20:46 pm
Very nice, the dead last version is my personal favorite, followed by the first on the bottom line. The subtle washed-out look, but with enough colour to give it interest works very well.

As for the cheaks, what I think is the problem it that you're using 2 colours on the cheaks, to give more blush to the centre of the cheaks. If you want to stick with the hard edged 'circles' on the cheak (which seems to be what you're going for, from the heidi pic) I'd suggest sticking with one colour. (as CrumbBread posted just as I was typing)
WARNING - This post may contain incredibly bad spelling and/or grammar due to the dyslexic nature of the poster. Please ignore this until the problem can be rectified.