AuthorTopic: [C&c] Minotaur  (Read 2584 times)

Offline SpectreNectar

• Programmer and painter and whatnot
    • View Profile
    • My Paintings

[C&c] Minotaur

on: April 05, 2016, 08:40:21 am
Trying to pixel a minotaur for a project of mine.

Outline:

Color:

I'm having a bit of problems with this one. In particular it's super messy and inconsistent. I tried making some veins and chest hair  plus I'm experimenting with specular lighting. Light is supposed to be top down. As is perspective. LoL please help me out.
// ---~-

Offline rocifier

• View Profile

Re: [C&c] Minotaur

Reply #1 on: April 05, 2016, 09:30:14 am
Good start. The shading needs improving, and it needs lighter values. Also the legs are very noisy, I can't tell what's going on there. It might help to first sketch out the anatomical forms, then you will understand the form better - since it is so complex it requires some study. Especially since you need to draw all views of it. I think you already have a good start, but before improving the shading I'd fix the anatomy up a bit first.

For example I had a go at mapping out a front pose for him (like he is going to punch). I wasn't sure what you meant by perspective is top-down, so I just viewed the camera front and down at him slightly. Often in sprite games you mostly get flat views - or at best 2.5D (this is probably what you meant in hindsight).

« Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 11:20:53 am by rocifier »

Offline SpectreNectar

• View Profile
    • My Paintings

Reply #2 on: April 05, 2016, 12:48:32 pm
Thanks!

OK I gave concept art a try and did these so far (I don't own a scanner so it's mouse drewn ^^):

First two (top) are very similar to the pixel version. I try to explain the "top down" perspective. What I really mean is that it's viewed from a superior angle or 45 degree top/frontal. I added a man too for reference.

Next two (middle) I tried to rearrange some of the body parts. I made the legs too small in the first one and the minotaur very tall in the second. Again a man for size reference. I actually like the second one although it's much taller than I intended.

Last four (bottom) are the original pose as seen from different angles. I guess I can begin to see how this is helping me grasp the anatomy of the pose.

Hmm.

I'll keep the other stuff in mind as well when I get back to pixeling.

EDIT

This is better right?
« Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 02:19:01 pm by SpectreNectar »
// ---~-

Offline rocifier

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: April 05, 2016, 08:45:42 pm
Wow those are way better! Looks like freakin' diablo II or something now. I think in the front view I'd bring the upper body down lower making the abs more compressed. It feels a bit too frontal when compared with your other views and the reference.

Offline rocifier

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: April 06, 2016, 04:53:02 am
I think he looks better how you've drawn him.. but I found a free 15 minutes to sketch what an accurate 45 degree perspective view would look like (you could amplify the bulkiness further). There is a significant amount of foreshortening:

So I think you actually want a 45 degree view with no perspective (orthographic), or just a small amount of perspective, which is what you've got. But you could tweak the proportions a little to have some perspective, it's up to your style of the game. EDIT: Oh, and I drew his legs pretty much straight too, not kinked.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 04:57:23 am by rocifier »

Offline SpectreNectar

• View Profile
    • My Paintings

Reply #5 on: April 06, 2016, 08:23:48 pm
I made another update to this.

I tried to take your advice into account. Made three versions and stuck with the best one. The game is quite orthographic in nature but I like to have a little perspective.
I went ahead and added some shading etc. I'll probably have to redo most of it if I'm not totally mistaken about this forum :P
// ---~-

Offline rocifier

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: April 07, 2016, 12:58:05 am
I like the new versions. You work pretty quickly. I'm not sure how much further you will be able to get without studying anatomy properly. You've got pretty far which is impressive, but I'm still seeing a number of tweaks that need to be made. Some of them for example are:

- nipples too high
- abdominal region too flat (should be more cylindrical)
- tricepts too small compared with deltoids
- front view his right arm switches muscle overlaps just below the elbow
- side view left shoulder too far back and no form defined for the spine (a lumpy mass covers right over it)

I guess there are more, but I could keep suggesting tweaks forever until you refine it as good as my knowledge (which is far from perfect).

The important thing for your development as an artist seeing your passion for drawing beasty characters will be to keep studying the human anatomy. Then you yourself will know the parts that need to be tweaked - or better, will be able to draw it correctly from the start. I recommend working through the anatomy lessons at www.proko.com

Please do keep us posted on developments to this character though, I would love to see that personally. Would be cool to hear some other critiques too
« Last Edit: April 07, 2016, 01:02:55 am by rocifier »