AuthorTopic: [WIP] Copperplate font  (Read 2791 times)

Offline Magpie

• View Profile

[WIP] Copperplate font

on: April 04, 2016, 10:56:19 am
Hello,

I'm working on a copperplate style font that's intended to be used in in-game books and journals. Here's what I have so far:
(These are intended to be viewed at 2x size)

I'm aware some of the individual letters might be difficult to read because of the way it's stylised, but I'm not overly concerned about that since it's supposed to look handwritten. Here's an example of the font in use:

What I am looking for feedback on is the smoothness of the letters. I've started on an AA'd version, but I'm worried that I'm overdoing it and loosing the pixel art feeling.

Should I continue on the AA'd version, scrap it and stick with the non-AA'd version, or try to make a version that uses antialiasing more sparingly?

Thanks  :)
« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 11:00:55 am by Magpie »

Offline trough

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] Copperplate font

Reply #1 on: April 05, 2016, 02:42:18 pm
I'm aware some of the individual letters might be difficult to read because of the way it's stylised, but I'm not overly concerned about that since it's supposed to look handwritten.
I think your font is very readable.

What I am looking for feedback on is the smoothness of the letters. I've started on an AA'd version, but I'm worried that I'm overdoing it and loosing the pixel art feeling.

I don't think adding AA would lose the pixel art feeling, but I think your anti-aliasing is a bit too dark to be useful.  Here's an edit with lighter anti-aliasing using only one AA color:

Should I continue on the AA'd version, scrap it and stick with the non-AA'd version, or try to make a version that uses anti-aliasing more sparingly?
I think it depends on the style of the rest of your graphics.  It's hard to tell when we don't know the context.

Offline yrizoud

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: April 05, 2016, 03:06:46 pm
I'm not a typology expert, there is just the k that I find confusing with h, and the C maaaay be a bit too "thin".

Your font involves almost only very clean lines, 2:1 slopes and harmonious curves, so AA doesn't really bring anything.
I'm a bit surprised by your statement that this is designed for x2 usage. IMO you'd get a much nicer result by designing a double-size pixel-perfect (monochrome) version.

Offline Prism

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: April 05, 2016, 03:21:00 pm
I'm aware some of the individual letters might be difficult to read because of the way it's stylised, but I'm not overly concerned about that since it's supposed to look handwritten.
I think your font is very readable.

I don't think adding AA would lose the pixel art feeling, but I think your anti-aliasing is a bit too dark to be useful.  Here's an edit with lighter anti-aliasing using only one AA color:

Should I continue on the AA'd version, scrap it and stick with the non-AA'd version, or try to make a version that uses anti-aliasing more sparingly?
I think it depends on the style of the rest of your graphics.  It's hard to tell when we don't know the context.

The lightness of the AA creates some noticeable line breaks I think could be avoided.

(make sure to magnify this for detail)

Here're two ways you could approach AAing your font. The A on the left has value clusters based on line weight, and the A on the right is anti-aliased in a more "traditional" way based on pixel edge. I feel as if the traditional one loses some of that calligraphic line style, but that could just be my own human error...The ab on top uses a mixture of both methods.

Also, I mighta over AAed it  :ouch:
« Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 03:34:57 pm by Prism »

Offline Magpie

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: April 05, 2016, 11:10:54 pm
Thanks for the help everyone.  ;D I'll try to get a mock-up put together of what it'll look like in context.

The lightness of the AA creates some noticeable line breaks I think could be avoided.

(make sure to magnify this for detail)

Here're two ways you could approach AAing your font. The A on the left has value clusters based on line weight, and the A on the right is anti-aliased in a more "traditional" way based on pixel edge. I feel as if the traditional one loses some of that calligraphic line style, but that could just be my own human error...The ab on top uses a mixture of both methods.

Also, I mighta over AAed it  :ouch:

I'm liking the one on the left, it looks a lot more natural.