AuthorTopic: Isometric characters (wip)  (Read 21027 times)

Offline Sqorgar

• View Profile

Re: Isometric characters (wip)

Reply #30 on: September 28, 2006, 01:43:26 am
I apoligize, that comment came out more harshly then i intended. but im haveing trouble figuring out WHY you dont want to improve. your certinally capable.
You're jumping to conclusions. What you see as improvements only moves me further away from the destination I'm working towards. I know this is hard for you to understand, but for the life of me I can't figure out why. I know I don't like obvious shading from an asthetic standpoint, and I don't like the way it changes the look and feel of my work. I know this because I've tried it. I'm not somebody who walked in from the newbie train, but someone who has been doing pixel art as a hobby longer than some of the members here have been alive. I've been all over the map, and I very much like the style I've developed. I find that while it may not be technically advanced as I am capable of, I can certainly imbue my work with a sense of charm and personality that works for me. It's exactly as advanced as it needs to be, which is a concept that apparently most people on this forum just don't get.

I've seen the more advanced work from the pixel artists here and not here, and as I've said before, while they are very technically impressive, I find them to lack that certain something that I'm looking for. For instance, looking around at these fad avatars everybody seems to have - not my thing. In fact, I find many of them absolutely repusive. It's nothing personal. It's a preference. I know what I like and what I'm looking for, and that is apparently at odds with what you like and what you are looking for. That's okay. Allow me my opinions and I'll allow you yours. But trying to dictate my preferences is a little... we'll just leave it at "not good".

As for your insinuation, I've improved considerably over the years. I don't even know how you can suggest otherwise.

You asked for general critique but i think you may of only wanted critique on the basic form of your peice, not the shading or colouring ect... i think that this is where most of the confusion in the thread is coming from. So make it very clear, what do you wish to be critiqued on?

"A general critique would be nice, but what I really need pointers on are the feet. The damned feet..."

Offline Meta|Fox

• Im full of candy!
    • View Profile

Reply #31 on: September 28, 2006, 02:12:57 am
Saying general critique suggests you want critiques over the whole piece, not just a specific aspect of it. Either way, you have been given many good crits on the feet and while you may not think Frolis edit to be absolutely right it gets the general message through. the rest is up to you, post an update of what you've done. you cant expect us to do it all for you.

Theres a Gremlin in My Computer!

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #32 on: September 28, 2006, 03:12:00 am
I'm not somebody who walked in from the newbie train, but someone who has been doing pixel art as a hobby longer than some of the members here have been alive. I've been all over the map, and I very much like the style I've developed.

I think you may be confusing experience and age with talent and skill.  Some of the kids (and i do mean kids) on here blow me out of the water, despite my age and experience - it's one of the things that keeps me experimenting and pushing.  You are rejecting good, insightful advice that would further your art toward your own self-stated goals.  You are doing this because you are lazy and are afraid you can't do better.  I don't know if you can do better or not; but I know I can always improve.

You wrote earlier that this isometric base is a nearly perfect representation that you have been developing for years; you then later pass off any possible problems as the result of a MASSIVE compromise of a shared display angle.  All this points to laziness and a stubborn attachment to bad practices that have nothing to do with style.

When a mod has a free minute, I think we could use a lock over here, this is post 30-something on this one, and I don't see ANYTHING being accomplished here.

Offline Joel

• View Profile

Reply #33 on: September 28, 2006, 03:30:07 am
I think we've tried to give him help on the feet, things we think he could do, but since he doesn't want to do them, it's up to him to fix them himself. I wish him good luck with it.

Offline Rawsushi

• View Profile
    • Terrormisu - The Art of B Rosaschi

Reply #34 on: September 28, 2006, 03:42:18 am
I'm not going to bash the simplistic style, but I will say that I wish there were more to it.
I made an edit, and I hope you don't mind, but I upped the number of colors a bit. There are two sprites; the first sprite, I've changed the feet a little. (As that's what you really want, right?) The second sprite is my own. Good luck.

Offline Joel

• View Profile

Reply #35 on: September 28, 2006, 03:43:54 am
I'm not going to bash the simplistic style, but I will say that I wish there were more to it.
I made an edit, and I hope you don't mind, but I upped the number of colors a bit. There are two sprites; the first sprite, I've changed the feet a little. (As that's what you really want, right?) The second sprite is my own. Good luck.

Haha, he's so cute! :crazy:

Offline Sqorgar

• View Profile

Reply #36 on: September 28, 2006, 05:15:30 am

I like what you did with the feet on the left one. I'd been so hung up with the right foot, that I thought the problem was there. I'm now pretty sure it's the left foot that's throwing off the whole thing. It's still not perfect, but I think stretching the foot down a pixel is a huge improvement and I can perhaps do something with it. It's certainly closer, and truth be told, after I got used to it a bit, it could work as is.

Quote from: AdamAtomic
I think you may be confusing experience and age with talent and skill.
No I'm not. I said I've tried many different techniques (experience) and settled upon a look I like. My point was that I'm NOT ignoring this advice without having tried. I HAVE tried it. Wasn't my cup of tea.

You are rejecting good, insightful advice that would further your art toward your own self-stated goals.  You are doing this because you are lazy and are afraid you can't do better.
Neither is true. It's a PREFERENCE. A TASTE. An OPINION. And last I checked, I'm allowed to have opinions so long as I don't force them on others. I'm not. I'm not say you have to draw in this style. I'm not even saying you have to like this style. All I'm saying is that I like this style, and advice which would fundamentally change this style is not something I'm going to entertain. I'm on the defensive. You may not be forcing your opinion on me, but you certainly aren't above insulting me for not sharing it.

You wrote earlier that this isometric base is a nearly perfect representation that you have been developing for years; you then later pass off any possible problems as the result of a MASSIVE compromise of a shared display angle.  All this points to laziness and a stubborn attachment to bad practices that have nothing to do with style.
Practical -adj -: inclined toward or fitted for actual work or useful activities.

Offline robalan

• View Profile

Reply #37 on: September 28, 2006, 05:16:39 am
I notice a lot of closed-mindedness on both sides of this debate.  Perhaps if both parties involved can give a little and try to see things from the other's point of view, something might be able to be accomplished in this thread instead of having long debates over semantics.
Always remember: a preposition is not something you should end a sentence with.

Offline Panda

• 威風堂々
    • View Profile

Reply #38 on: September 28, 2006, 06:05:06 am

I couldnt be bothered to make my own version, but I just edited the feet in your character as you were requesting.
Is it something like that what you were looking for?

Ah well, good luck I guess

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #39 on: September 28, 2006, 06:15:22 am
When a mod has a free minute, I think we could use a lock over here, this is post 30-something on this one, and I don't see ANYTHING being accomplished here.

This thread serves many purposes, amongst them, helping Sq with the feet of his sprite as he so desired. I think the parallel discussion about his style and his opinions about it has exhausted itself. No reason to be locked.