AuthorTopic: [C+C] Fire animation  (Read 2365 times)

Offline Hagane

• View Profile

[C+C] Fire animation

on: April 04, 2016, 04:44:38 am
I'm doing a fire animation for a game project, and it's been driving me crazy. I've read the topics here on the "fundamentals of fire" but I still can't grasp the physics that make it work, so I'm pretty clueless as to what to fix to make the animation work. Probably the shapes are all wrong and I can't fully picture the flame`s shape in my head, so the animation's not working.

Here it is. Rough pixelling since I till need to get the animation right.

I find it rather ugly and not very flame-y. But I can't figure out how to fix it. Any tips are appreciated.

Offline LeafyMystic

• View Profile

Re: [C+C] Fire animation

Reply #1 on: April 04, 2016, 08:02:24 pm
I like it! It looks like a fireball sprite launched in a fighting game. That said, is it upside down? I can see what you mean in that it doesn't look like a standing fire itself, but it's definitely a start.

Offline Hagane

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: April 04, 2016, 08:07:22 pm
It's for a vertical shooting game, so yes it's similar to a hadouken but it travels vertically from below to the upper side of the screen.

Offline danmanr98

• DanieruArt
    • http://desudanieru.tumblr.com/
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: April 04, 2016, 11:39:29 pm
I think you successfully gave this fireball character. maybe you didn't aim for it to look "Alive", to which I'd suggest editing the Right and Left side (Where the two fire bits on each side spit off of the actual projectile) to make it act less symmetrically. Basically, make the fire that comes off of the two sides fall off less in rhythm, and more randomly.
-Hope that makes sense :p
I do love it how it is though.

Offline rocifier

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: April 05, 2016, 08:42:32 am
This is actually quite cute. If you want it more "flamy" you probably need to make the splitting parts flicker around a bit, show them in just 1 frame etc. Right now they are a little slow moving and blobby like liquid. Try making them shaped a bit more like what I would describe as tongues or licks:

I like the form though, because yours looks like a fireball - a burning ball of some kind that has a lot of fuel inside