AuthorTopic: I have no idea if this posted already but here I go.. Plant Sprite [WIP]  (Read 7327 times)

Offline Yokai90

• I come here sometimes for advice & Eggs
    • boogie45
    • View Profile
I was trying to make a tulip seed .o.

Offline rocifier

• View Profile
I see. Well I don't know what happened but it's got progressively worse. I suggest forget AA for now, its just for polishing finished parts usually inside a sprite. We need to work on the form.

Look at this photo:

Beautiful. Why? Let's observe what we see. The emphasis is on the green shoots.. the fresh new life which is being born. The light is hitting the green shoots and providing some subsurface scattering, moreso near the bulb. The effect being that the green shoots very slightly emit light compared with the bulb (the light actually bounces around inside and then out so it only appears that way, whereas light is largely absorbed when it hits the bulb). Some of the top of the bulbs are a little translucent so you can actually see the shoots inside. The colour is distinctly light yellowish-brown with tints of green underneath, not red.

The shoots that come out don't curl at all, they go straight up and only bend outwards up to a 15 degree angle in a radial fan with two of the shoots remaining centralised. Effectively they form wrapped around each other and spread and straighten as they extend vertically. They are approximately 4 shoots coming from each bulb. The length of each shoot is roughly the same as its surrounding shoots but with variations of up to 10%. Each shoot is pointed at the tip only. The colour of the shoots graduate fairly linearly from the luminescent lime green at their roots to a more olive green near the top, which has more red and less green in the hue, and therefore also a reduction in value since green holds most of the brightness in light (eg. our monitors). However about half the shoots (randomly) then transition back to green at the tip but don't reach all the way back to the bright green of their roots. The point where the shoots sprout from on the tip of the bulb is essentially a ring of darker brown which looks burst, and this dark value contrasts sharply against the bright green shoots erupting from the bulb.

I'll leave the bulb mostly as an exercise for you to observe, probably from other photographs or better - in the palm of your own hand.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 12:07:55 pm by rocifier »

Offline Yokai90

• boogie45
    • View Profile
Thank you so much .o.
I definitely see the points made out on the shading and the colors that the tulip has. Again thank you so much!

Offline Chadtech

• View Profile

I edited your last revision a bit. Your drawing is really... weird? Not in a good way, but still very interesting. I am curious as to how you made it, and your thought process.

Your drawing is strangely square. I rounded out the edges. One thing I found interesting about your drawing was how the shading apparently extended beyond the edge of the seed itself. It looks cool. It seems like you understand shading really well, but the very edge of your drawing could use some better/different anti-aliasing I think, which I guess is a different technique than shading. Then I redrew the stem, and put a little brown spec where the stem meets the seed. I think I improved the stem (maybe you agree) largely by softening the color gradient, and then removing darker colors from the top edges of the leafs.

Anyway, cool stuff, keep it up!

Offline Yokai90

• boogie45
    • View Profile
Im glad you think my drawing is interesting! At least not in a weird way. To be honest when I was going in the process I looked at a reference of a tulip seed without the stem? And at the same time I was looking at a reference of a tulip sees without the stem and it had a pint with a sorta circular body? I tried to first shade it and of course as I stated earlier I had trouble with shading such a small Sprite and decided to try and shade it dark first and I also tried to blend everything hence such a dark color;; with the highlights I added a yellowish mixed in and I took some colors from my previous tulip seed and did a sorta dithery technique with it.

Also thank you for the compliments! It makes me feel a little more relieved that my shading is really good as I kinda make a big deal out of it lol. I also unsteady and a bit more of your anti-aliasing? I'm still new to it ^^; I also do agree with the stem and I like your recreation that you edited on!

Offline Yokai90

• boogie45
    • View Profile

Just an update. In order to understand a bit better on how to draw the bulb better and color I did a study on it.

I used my prismacolor color pencils in order to acheive the yellowish brown and to better understand.

How does this look now?

If possible could I scan this and use this as a sketch and then pixelate?

Offline devlon

• View Profile
It's one of my favorite plants. So easy to keep happy, and a very fast grower. Does require a good bit of maintenance though, or else it will literally take over an entire tanks

Offline Yokai90

• boogie45
    • View Profile

Im so sorry to have not replied in a while at all, but if anyone's still taking critiques-

V.3 Revised completely of this tulip seed- no A-A at all and I've studied basically re-drawn this tulip a good couple of times in this long span finally have had enough time to re-do it.
And its color palate is not so dark now aha.

Offline Ashedragon

• View Profile
It looks much better! However, it's not quite there. You seem to still have the shoots curving outwards instead of going straight up at slight angles like in the reference picture.

Offline Koyot1222

• View Profile
Ive used similar palette to Your first image.