AuthorTopic: Prince C64 Hi-Res  (Read 7480 times)

Offline Godslayer

• View Profile

Re: Prince C64 Hi-Res

Reply #10 on: September 24, 2006, 09:02:39 pm
Yeah werewolf, it would've been totally easy to do AA with 2 colors per square. ;)

I like it, 8bitty. Put some more clouds in the more empty areas.
How long can the floor creak before it loses its voice?

Offline ter-o

• Elitist scum
    • View Profile

Reply #11 on: September 24, 2006, 09:04:56 pm
Yay for symmetry! Please do something about it... also I'd like to see more defined lightsource from some other direction than straight forward  :P that would help the shading problem too. But it's a nice start, just remember to begin running and don't stay to watch how nice the start was  :y:
I don't know everything, I just know everything else.
Try not. Do, or do not. There is no try. -Master Yoda

Werewolf

Reply #12 on: September 24, 2006, 09:12:19 pm
Edited.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2006, 12:09:08 am by Werewolf »

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #13 on: September 24, 2006, 09:21:50 pm
Simmer down wereman.

Shouldn't his face be yellow?
I agree with werewolf in that the grey overpowers the green. Rather than the grey looking like shading, it looks as though that particular part of the Prince changes colors to grey.

I like it, 8bitty. Put some more clouds in the more empty areas.
Agreed.

Would you be able to add more detail to the city without breaking  the restrictions?

The Prince doesn't seem to be being lit by the sun. Also, with such a bright lightsource, he seems quite dim...Some white hilights?
And unless your blind, the clouds are fairly similar. No where else in his piece does his triangle shade like I did. But then again, I wasn't accusing him, just musing.

Ptoing and Helm have both used triangles like that in pieces before, and so have I (though not under the C64 restrictions). Just because you make a stylistic choice doesn't mean you were the first, nor does it mean that, if you in fact were the first, people cannot draw inspiration from you. My point is that it was quite pointless to bring that up in the first place.
Now please calm down. Just because someone disagrees with you doesn't mean they're "attacking lesser people."

Offline Faktablad

• grow
    • View Profile
    • Couchpixel

Reply #14 on: September 24, 2006, 09:31:07 pm
Forgive me if I sounded overly harsh Werewolf.  My post wasn't at all meant to be a sort of personal attack.  What I said were only my opinions, however to me it seems as though you're making them out to be an opinion on your view of technique---which they aren't.  My opinions concern the piece, not you, except for the fact that (1) they were the opposite of yours, and (2) I had a confusion about the similarities between this piece and your banner.  (I originally didn't make the connection between the cloud shading and your banner, to me it's a normal way to deal with the 2 color per 8x8 hi-res rule.).  To make my comments out as an "elitist rampage" is more than a bit of overkill.  If you claim that I have "attacked lesser people" before, you would do well to give some examples, otherwise your claim is baseless.  I am not trying to start a flame war, because I feel I don't know you well enough to be making personal attacks.  I don't believe you know enough either, so please leave me out of this and let's focus on the art.

I made an edit to show a few points which I believe require attention:

-First of all, to show that the background works logistically, I've continued the mountain line twice: RED represents the mountain line continuing straight; GREEN continues the curve that the mountain seems to have.  Both of them terminate themselves behind the prince, therefore there's no problem.

-In ORANGE I've circled all of the jaggy lines which could be smoothed out.

I agree that the grey kind of doesn't work.  And I think a lot more detail could be put into this piece while still keeping restrictions.

Werewolf

Reply #15 on: September 24, 2006, 11:02:52 pm
Edited
« Last Edit: September 24, 2006, 11:46:37 pm by Werewolf »

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #16 on: September 24, 2006, 11:11:05 pm
hmmm, while the edit is good, and the original has many floors, i think i prefer the original.  It just has more character.

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #17 on: September 24, 2006, 11:32:34 pm
I prefer the original too, much more style. Oh, and Werewolf, you're coming off very arrogant to me

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #18 on: September 25, 2006, 12:21:19 am
Warewolf, it's when you've posted 4 messages in a thread and then edited all of them out that you should probably reconsider the usage of this forum. This isn't the place for your emotional baggage.

8bitty: I'm so glad to see c64 hi-res pixel pieces by other people. I think you handled the restrictions pretty evenly for the first time working in this mode. Most tech crits have been covered but I suggest the former. Where the tiles meet on the top of his head you have a lot of tiles that are just green. What you could do, and it's a nifty trick, is add a singlepixel white line highlight at the top of the head on the green tile, so it's still 2 colors per tile, but now you've given the object a shiny highlight that makes it jump out.

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #19 on: September 25, 2006, 09:31:58 pm
Ok, more crits and edit follow :D

Sun with silly colours? Needs to be yellow! Not even KD is THIS silly!

What's with the grey? The Prince of all cosmos is not grey!

The shading on his head does not do very much sense to me, like why those two 45 degree lines at the bottom of the main green area, is there a dent? Not as far as i know.

Why is is face green? Did he eat something wrong?

What's with the triangles on the cloud?

One solitary cloud? Why?

A couple triangles on mountain? Needs more for texture.

What's with the invisible city? Needs to be spiced up!

« Last Edit: September 25, 2006, 09:33:48 pm by ptoing »
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.