AuthorTopic: Hair Blowing Loop  (Read 10056 times)

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Re: Hair Blowing Loop

Reply #10 on: March 28, 2016, 07:20:59 pm
That's pretty good! That looks like some pretty intense wind though, like she's standing next to a helicopter or something.
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline ChrisN

• ChrisNordgren
    • http://pixeljoint.com/pixels/profile.asp
    • christiannordgren
    • Chris Nordgren
    • View Profile
    • [Portfolio] https://www.artstation.com/artist/chrisnordgren

Reply #11 on: March 28, 2016, 08:51:18 pm
wow great job man, looks great!

I don't mind that the wind effect is strong, It looks nice for this piece atm.

Currently the beltbuckle seem to move a bit robotic, maybe less movement or try making it move in a arc(a la illusion of life).

overall I think the character looks great

If you would to continue working on this piece it I suggest having the character idlebouncing to a small degree.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2016, 08:56:47 pm by ChrisN »

Offline Alex Sinigaglia

• aka G.o.D.
    • god-of-death-alex
    • View Profile

Reply #12 on: March 29, 2016, 03:02:47 pm
Now that's gorgeus. :)
I was going to suggest an arc movement for the belt, but Chris beat me to it.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 07:43:44 pm by Alex Sinigaglia »

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: March 30, 2016, 05:14:00 am

Made it a bit slower, made the belt hopefully look a bit more natural (There's also no buckle.  The idea was a completely cloth belt tied at the side, which leads to note 3), and went back to the sash idea. 

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #14 on: March 30, 2016, 07:41:58 am
now I just have no idea which way the wind's coming from, shouldn't the strip be flying the other way?
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #15 on: March 30, 2016, 12:48:44 pm
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. The wind seems to be coming from the left, so the belt makes no sense.

Offline tsej

• View Profile
    • Art and Code

Reply #16 on: March 30, 2016, 02:47:44 pm
I think the wind is coming from the right if you observe the hair more closely. (Although, the back hair seems weird)
The shirt also seems to suggest it's coming from the right side, or from the general direction.
The shorts and the belts..uh. They kinda look like that too. They seem a bit iffy though.
Correct me if I'm wrong

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #17 on: March 31, 2016, 12:32:29 am
I always went with the wind going from right to left, so that's why the hair covering her face, the ahoge and the sash are going the way they are.

I might need to go over the shirt, shorts and ponytail a bit more now that I look at it.

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #18 on: April 12, 2016, 05:12:57 am

Hopefully a decent loop of her letting her hair down.  Loop of both for convenience.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2016, 03:34:13 am by Rosier »

Offline astraldata

• View Profile
    • MUGEN ZERO

Reply #19 on: April 26, 2016, 08:00:21 am
I think if you had the sash thing blowing around in the wind behind her, it would look pretty neat, assuming the sash had some width variance on it. Think Makoto from Street Fighter III in the other post -- notice how her yellow bandanna thingy thins out in the silhouette and changes a lot over time with more of a varied wind "sound" thing like PPD mentioned on the other page. The rhythm isn't clear enough in these, and I think the sash, if done correctly, could help to unify that. Do keep in mind that even if the wind is blowing from the right-to-left all the time, unless she has a FAN on her blowing at a steady constant speed in a laboratory environment, the sash, like in all the shampoo commercials' supermodels' hair, would be flapping and flopping around in a somewhat unpredictable way. After all, wind never blows in a steady stream -- it's always gusts.

I think the thing you /really/ should remember is that Animation is all about CHANGE and PUSHING your animations past where you're actually comfortable pushing them in order to add interest. This applies to static images as well, but doubly so in animation!

The wrong KIND of change, of course, in the wrong context, can kill your image -- though, don't ever be afraid to PUSH it regardless, because this can save your ass a LOT more times than not.

A good example of this:

The sash was a great idea, but you just didn't push it far enough. Had you exaggerated it as far as you could go, you likely would have realized that the wind blowing on it was too soft and too constant and thus appeared unnatural. In PUSHING your animation, you would have realized the physical limits of what was possible with the sash and could have executed it stylishly the first time.

With a few mods to the silhouette and potentially adding a bit more to its 3d-ness to break it up (I assumed it was a snake or smth around her waist at first), you could do well with the belt/sash idea as long as you PUSH the animation hard, and then just soften it as you need to from there (but the extremes will still exist behind the animation, and that's a /good/ thing -- always).

Other than that, when she bends a bit to take her hair band off, you should show more change to her knees/butt by bending her silhouette more to give it more life (adding that CHANGE that I had mentioned before). I apologize for emphasizing these words, but I want you to be more aware of them. You've got a LOT of potential, and you only need to be more aware of these two things to get closer to where you want to be. If you admire PPD's work in animation, you should notice that he uses BOTH change and pushing his work to extremes to create the interesting animations (as well as static art too!) he creates! Seek to change and push your art and animation (static art too!) as far as it will go (try to break it!) As long as you do this first, you will always create more natural and more interesting things than you would ever do otherwise with external inspirations and references!
« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 08:06:43 am by astraldata »
I'm offering free pixel-art mentorship for promising pixel artists. For details, click here.

http://mugenzero.userboard.net/