AuthorTopic: New mechanical soldier.  (Read 2041 times)

Offline leveler50

• Pixel art.
    • View Profile
    • Heavyweight Rex

New mechanical soldier.

on: March 20, 2016, 07:58:57 am
How about this one?
« Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 03:50:00 pm by leveler50 »

Offline metachaos

• "Feed me with bacon"
    • View Profile

Re: New mechanical soldier.

Reply #1 on: March 20, 2016, 10:24:56 am
Hi !

i like the idea so i messed a little with colors. Don't take it as an advice, i'm training by editing :)

The things i messed with :

Shape :   i did rearrange some parts like the chin, the nose and the mouth so as to get more rational volumes.
Light & Shadow : That's a very good sprite style you have since it requires that you mentally compute the lightining sources and shadow in a detailed fashion. Very good excercise and very interesting as the lights can enhance or lower some part as you want to emphasis on it. I added some shadows to get more contrast.  I also added highlights on the edges of the left part, but can't say if it's relevant or not  :P
Colors : i added more shades and a little AA but i think that's very subjective :)

Good luck with this !
« Last Edit: March 20, 2016, 11:37:15 am by metachaos »
*          /!\ Waiting for the singularity /!\            *

Offline rocifier

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: March 20, 2016, 11:23:20 pm
Just edited the head:

Offline tsej

• View Profile
    • Art and Code

Reply #3 on: March 21, 2016, 10:49:21 am
Hi, I'd like to quote 0xDB from your last thread.

I think the main problem is the lack of structure. It's all flat shapes. Without strongly defining the volumes first it is not possible to imagine light and shadow accurately.

To fix that, make a stronger concept first. Draw a side view, a front view (and maybe even top and bottom views) and after that make a construction for the pose you want to render. That should help you work out the volumes before you try to illuminate them and will lead to a much more defined and more coherent result. Don't cheat, don't wing it. Designing the different views first and going through that whole process will give you a better understanding and insight into what you're trying to render afterwards.

Correct me if I'm wrong