AuthorTopic: [C+C] [WIP] Final Boss for a NES-like platform game  (Read 2076 times)

Offline jjhaggar

• JJHaggar
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/54205.htm
    • View Profile
    • Mad Gear Games

[C+C] [WIP] Final Boss for a NES-like platform game

on: March 19, 2016, 01:19:47 am
Hello,

This is what I'm working right now, it's the final boss of our game so I'd like to draw it as well as possible.

Just in case you clicked here by accident, I'll put the images under a spoiler tag ;)
This is (more or less) the stage in which the boss will appear. It's divided in two parts and the gravity changes in each one.

This is the current WIP. It's in pieces (hands, forearms, arms, chest, etc) so I removed the right arm to reveal the abs.
I know that the torso is maybe a bit too long, but I fear it needs to be like this so the monster fit the stage. He also has got 2 tails made with several circles and a spade, more or less like this one.

Sorry for using green as BG color but having as much grey skin as it has it would be better this way, if I'm wrong tell me and I'll change it to transparent.

-Don't pay too much attention to the outline's broken/dirty pixels on the horns, claws, etc. They still have to be cleaned.
-What do you think about the design? Do you like it? Any idea to improve it?
-And the pose, do you think it's ok?
-I never made a sprite this large, so I'm a bit lost in some areas. Should I draw the outlines with the same thickness as the rest of enemies (1 pixel) or maybe I should make it thicker (2 or 3 px, like I was testing in the claws)? Maybe thicker outlines and normal inner lines?
-Should I use dithering or not? I'm using a little bit on the purple conjunctions from its shoulders and lower body but I wonder if I should continue using it there or not. Or maybe I should use it also on other parts of te drawing?
-I'm really bad at drawing proper lighting, any help please? ^^U
-Anything else that you think could improve the enemy would be really welcome :)
« Last Edit: March 19, 2016, 01:46:41 am by jjhaggar »
Be happy! ^^

Offline rocifier

• View Profile

Re: [C+C] [WIP] Final Boss for a NES-like platform game

Reply #1 on: March 19, 2016, 03:12:13 am
Looking good. I think the anatomy needs some work. For example there is an ab missing, and the arms could use a bit of definition. You need an extra couple of values (shades) to work with on the shading. I have matched it up to a photo below so you can see how to tweak the abs. Other feedback: the bottom legs area looks a little too feminine (dress / little mermaid). I'd work on that unless he is supposed to be a hybrid male/female for story reasons. How are the shoulders attached? What are those made of? I can't quite tell. Finally, I'd suggest making the circle on his palms larger since that seems like a key element related to defeating him. If it's not I'd remove it or just make it appear or light up only when he attacks.

« Last Edit: March 19, 2016, 03:15:48 am by rocifier »

Offline jjhaggar

• JJHaggar
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/54205.htm
    • View Profile
    • Mad Gear Games

Reply #2 on: March 20, 2016, 10:52:50 pm
Thank you very much! :D

I fixed the abs (I think), I'l try to add some definition to his arms later. About the shadings, you were refering to abs & arms?

How would you defeminize his bottom legs? I have no clue.

The shoulders in theory are made of some kind of conjunctive tissue, like the one in the waist of Perfect Cell from Dragon Ball, with 2 blades on each one of them.

About the circles on his palms, there should not be problems since the main character attacks are big enough to hit him. I mean, if you were talking about box collisions, if you were talking about the visibility for the player, I'll add some visual effect as cue so it should be fine :)

What do you think about the outlines and inner lines thickness? Which one fits better?
Be happy! ^^

Offline rocifier

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: March 20, 2016, 11:58:48 pm
Me personally, I think the thicker outlines are good on the outside, but that the lines on the inside are too strong/thick, especially the abs. Also check the lighting of the photo as well for hints on how to improve shading.