AuthorTopic: Commercial Critique - Castlevania  (Read 119656 times)

Offline RamonBurke

• View Profile

Re: Commercial Critique - Castlevania

Reply #10 on: June 08, 2019, 09:35:09 pm
I'm interested to see where the conversation goes as well.  I didn't play this game but I imagine that those pastel-ish colors mixed with the dark backgrounds would have set the game apart graphically from most other games at the time.

That's what I notice most about it now, anyway.

This game almost has a luminous feel to it. I like the graphics but there's not a huge amount of attention to detail.

Yes, I too feel that the game has a luminous feel. I find it too bright for my eyes.

Offline pixel3r

• View Profile

Re: Commercial Critique - Castlevania

Reply #11 on: October 14, 2020, 07:52:18 am
I got those graphics. The "gameplay" ones in the animated gif were taken from current memory using FCEUX's PPU viewer.

The very tall image was taken using YYCHR. Because Castlevania is CHR RAM, it is under no obligation to have its graphics byte aligned (or even uncompressed) in the ROM itself, since it writes the proper data to PPU memory at run time.

Your YYCHR GUI might look slightly different, but the arrows/+/- on the right shift where it starts looking for graphics by various amounts. For CHR ROM games it starts at the right place because where CHR ROM is is a feature of the .NES file format.

sorry about bumping this, but just wondering is it still working? i tried the .NES file but it crashes after 30  secs