AuthorTopic: Generic RPG Enemies [C+C]  (Read 2565 times)

Offline focox2099

• View Profile

Generic RPG Enemies [C+C]

on: March 13, 2016, 10:23:19 pm
Hi Pixelation, this is my first post here.  :)
I'm making some rpg enemies, so here they are. (I will add more later).

I'm looking for a critique. :P
« Last Edit: March 13, 2016, 10:26:02 pm by focox2099 »

Offline Roach

• View Profile

Re: Generic RPG Enemies [C+C]

Reply #1 on: March 13, 2016, 10:34:56 pm
I dont think your insect should have an outline like your slime. It makes it look like they dont fit together.

Offline MAVW

• hellomavw
    • View Profile
    • pixelmavw

Reply #2 on: March 13, 2016, 11:08:17 pm
As Roach said, those enemies don't really fit together, not only because of the stroke but they kinda have their palette all over the place. Apart from the enemy coherence, I feel like your shading is a bit of a overkill here.

I was only going to adjust the stroke color to give you an idea but I ended up changing a few more things, nothing major, I tried to match the stroke style a little batter as well as clean up a bit(and some color changes).

Offline focox2099

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: March 13, 2016, 11:26:04 pm
Wow, thanks Roach and MAVW. :)

I was doing the insect without the black outline, and next time i will worry about shading.

I was making this:

PD: The enemies aren't for a game, it just for fun :P

Offline rocifier

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: March 15, 2016, 03:11:20 am
Hey good start! I can see you have grasped a few techniques like anti-aliasing and outlining. I think the biggest improvement that could be made to these is proper shading. They need a light source. At the moment the worm's (?) head looks flat and more like a circle than a sphere, which it is meant to approximate. Try practising shading a sphere first then go back and render his head. Likewise his body is a cylinder.

For the slime, his head is the main form and approximates an egg. Try practising shading an egg first in the same way. Likewise his or her body can be approximated by a cone. Interpolating the pixels between the rendering approximations should result in a complete solid and properly lit form, which is the main thing you are communicating. Everything else just enhances that. It's why traditional art skills help pixel artists so much.

After getting the fundamentals down the next thing is to consider personality and story. How were these creatures born/conceived? Are they male/female/asexual? What planets are they from? What do they prefer eating the most? Do they sleep? Answering some general questions like this can help you to visually shape their character and give them more personality - instead of the hollow slime eyes, we might see a fear-instilling deep red glow or no eyes at all. The expression could also be more menacing if it's going to attack, a wavy mouth usually indicates uncertainty. But expression stuff must come later, once you have got the forms down! Good luck!

Offline rocifier

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: March 15, 2016, 04:11:32 am
Here's a quick edit of the shading for the slime with most common pixel art light source from above and slightly forward:

Offline focox2099

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: March 18, 2016, 02:13:03 am
Here's a quick edit of the shading for the slime with most common pixel art light source from above and slightly forward:

WOOoo!! Thank you! :lol:
I will make another creature and i will try to shadow correctly. :)