AuthorTopic: Jane  (Read 3115 times)

Offline wzl

• View Profile

Jane

on: March 16, 2016, 02:14:20 am
Hello chaps.

Let me introduce jane to you. She's Johnny's girlfriend.

I'm working on the running loop right now and i learn new stuff about her with every frame. Had a hard time figuring out her hair.

Right now this is a 6 frame loop, but i'll smoothen it out once i get it right.
The head movement is still quite jerky and her hair moves a bit backwards.
Otherwise i feel the cycle lacks urgency. Maybe that's something i can fix with a higher framecount, but i think it should be achievable in this loop.
I'll give it another whirl tomorrow night.

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Re: Jane

Reply #1 on: March 16, 2016, 04:20:17 am
if you want urgency, try leaning her forward more. As it is, it looks like she's just kind of doing a dramatic dainty princess skip.
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline wzl

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: March 16, 2016, 10:29:54 am
if you want urgency, try leaning her forward more. As it is, it looks like she's just kind of doing a dramatic dainty princess skip.
Good point. I'll adress that! :D

Little bonus, since you mentioned the skipping motion, an earlier animation to see where its coming from.
I call it tiptoeing through flower fields

Offline Yarsu

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: March 16, 2016, 11:55:14 am
I like the the dynamics of your animation! The only think I wonder about is her second hand, shouldn't it have the palm more visible?

Offline Ambivorous

• If you can't do; inspire.
    • ambivorous
    • ambivorous
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/47949.htm
    • ambivorous
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: March 16, 2016, 08:26:00 pm
Hey Weazel!

Very inspirational (after all it got me to edit an entire animation)! Loving her look and colours.
Secretly I've wanted to animate a "girly" female character run for a while, so here goes:

I've actually been watching girls as I run behind them [/supercreepy] to see how they run, and some of the more girly ones have noticeable inefficiencies in their technique.

Here are a few things they do:
  • They twist their shoulders as they run (you should keep your shoulders square and swing your arms like pendulums) and sort of doggy-paddle with their arms? I don't really know what they're doing, but it looks something like how I've animated it. I'm sure you've seen it (they do it in anime a bit as well).
  • They rotate their knees in a circular motion and throw their legs around their knees following the same motion. I don't even know how to describe it, and animating it was... tricky, but hopefully you've seen it. They also use this in anime often, so I'm clearly not the only one to notice.
    I think this is because of the angle their bones have at the knee that gives them this more rotational movement, because you'll notice it on most girls and most guys will run with their knees always forward, pendulumy.
  • The back arch. Chests up and out, and then the lower back needs to pick up the slack and bends all concave-like. I assume this has to do with breasts. Either to show off, or because they don't have the proper support and running differently would cause them pain.

Then there's the hair...
There are several types of different hair bounces that I've found. Some sway left and right, some bounce only vertically, some splay out. It all depends on how they have their hair tied and their running motion.
I've gone with some sway and lots of bounce (assuming no hair tie, or at least a loose one), with hair that sticks together and flicks at the tip, but really you have so many choices.

Hopefully this helps. If you want more urgency you can just exaggerate the movements, and you can use any amount of these in various levels to get the kind of feel you want (maybe slightly athletic, so she'll run with proper technique, maybe she has wide set hips that make her legs move more like a male's). Just some stuff to keep in mind.

Good luck!
* may contain misinformation

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #5 on: March 17, 2016, 12:14:04 am
I feel like the hair in that rework is a bit too flappy, looks more like a scarf. The original has more weight to it, feels more natural. I'd stick with that personally.
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline wzl

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: March 17, 2016, 11:17:29 am
Hey Weazel!

Very inspirational (after all it got me to edit an entire animation)! Loving her look and colours.
Secretly I've wanted to animate a "girly" female character run for a while, so here goes:

That is so unbelievably adorable. I'm melting :D

I've actually been watching girls as I run behind them [/supercreepy] to see how they run, and some of the more girly ones have noticeable inefficiencies in their technique.

Here are a few things they do:
  • They twist their shoulders as they run (you should keep your shoulders square and swing your arms like pendulums) and sort of doggy-paddle with their arms? I don't really know what they're doing, but it looks something like how I've animated it. I'm sure you've seen it (they do it in anime a bit as well).
  • They rotate their knees in a circular motion and throw their legs around their knees following the same motion. I don't even know how to describe it, and animating it was... tricky, but hopefully you've seen it. They also use this in anime often, so I'm clearly not the only one to notice.
    I think this is because of the angle their bones have at the knee that gives them this more rotational movement, because you'll notice it on most girls and most guys will run with their knees always forward, pendulumy.
  • The back arch. Chests up and out, and then the lower back needs to pick up the slack and bends all concave-like. I assume this has to do with breasts. Either to show off, or because they don't have the proper support and running differently would cause them pain.

Yeah i often see girls running, well, jogging, with wrong technique, often their knees also bend inwards and their hands flap around like wet towels. This is not the kind of motion i'm going for. Even though at this point i'm not sure where exactly to take this.
I didn't get around working on the run cycle last night, so i didn't make any tweaks or adjustments.
I'll probably do a few different runs and see what works best, but before that i want to make some more animations to get to know her better, and to figure out how she's going to move. (personality, motivation etc)

Then there's the hair...
There are several types of different hair bounces that I've found. Some sway left and right, some bounce only vertically, some splay out. It all depends on how they have their hair tied and their running motion.
I've gone with some sway and lots of bounce (assuming no hair tie, or at least a loose one), with hair that sticks together and flicks at the tip, but really you have so many choices.
I feel like the hair in that rework is a bit too flappy, looks more like a scarf. The original has more weight to it, feels more natural. I'd stick with that personally.

I really like the flippy-flappyness of the hair ambi did, mine looks quite chunky or bulky, so i'll probably try to go a middle route. I haven't really looked at references at all for the hair and just went with what i felt is somewhat accurate. Well, i really should look up some hair movement. Maybe creeping up on girls in the park is not a bad idea for that. If i get arrested i'll put all blame to you  >:D

Here are some first drafts for slide jump and attack.
I'm sort of alright with the first two, will test them in game later so i can see if they fit.
The attack though, very stationary and rigid if you consider its part of gameplay. I'll have to think some more of how she will attack.