AuthorTopic: [REV-SHARE] Amarathia, 16-Bit MMORPG  (Read 2310 times)

Offline SapMagic

• View Profile

[REV-SHARE] Amarathia, 16-Bit MMORPG

on: April 29, 2016, 03:24:23 am
1. Company title and/or individual representing and offering employment.
Hey fam - I'm starting up a little indie shop called Rush Forward. My name is Ed (but you can call me Sap) and I'm an experience designer at a large game company by day, scrappy developer/designer/product owner by night. I've spent the majority of my career doing tech consulting, and my education is in Computer Science.

2. Project title.
Amarathia - it's a community-driven 2D MMORPG for core gamers.

3. Description of company or project.
Amarathia (working title!) is intended to be a spiritual successor to older 2D MMOs like Nexus TK (http://www.nexustk.com) or Dark Ages (http://www.darkages.com). The game is top-down 2D and I'm building both the client and server in Unity.

From an aspirational perspective, I want Amarathia to be the most engaging, community-driven 2D MMORPG for core gamers. I want to establish a rapid cadence of adding new content to the game, but I also want the community to be directly involved in the creation of the world (at some point, maybe not initially).

The exact features of the game are up for discussion, although I have a backlog of rough epics and stories moderately-well defined that I would be happy to share.

Right now, the team is 3 engineers (including me), 2 artists, and 1 systems designer. I'm handling other logistics like product ownership and narrative. We actually have (very early) working tech to handle the networking aspects of the game as well as some simple stuff like movement, basic AI, multiplayer, leveling, etc. This is a project we want to release to real players.

4. Talent/Position requirements.
You'll work with the team to establish an art style for the game. Your focus will be in-game assets (character, equipment, items, environment), but there might be opportunities for you to work on the UI if you're interested. Basic qualifications are as follows:

-2d pixel art (in the same vein as something like Stardew Valley)
-Sprite animation
-Strong communication skills

This is a learning project, so it's ok if you don't have a ton of experience, but please be willing to share examples of past work or put something together to show off what you can do.

5. Payment.
This is mostly a passion project, but there are a couple options available for us to monetize the project. I want to make the game free-to-play (we can discuss), but we could do the following:

- Micro transactions (cosmetic items, etc.)
- Subscription (more character slots, access to content, etc.)

We'll be doing weighted profit sharing, so you can look forward to compensation based on profits from the project as well as how valuable you are to the team in terms of contributions. Initially, we'll be working on the game without making any money.

We will set up a binding legal agreement to document how profit sharing will be handled and also sort out copyrights. It seems a little painful, but it's worth it to protect you and make sure you get treated fairly!

6. Contact information.
If you're interested, feel free to reach out here or email me at ed.altorfer@gmail.com. I'm looking forward to chatting with anyone who's excited about the opportunity to work on a great team and hopefully make something awesome and fun.