AuthorTopic: Crow Enemy Walking  (Read 5498 times)

Offline wzl

• View Profile

Re: Crow Enemy Walking

Reply #10 on: March 14, 2016, 06:35:54 pm
ok so i have a few concerns about this and finally got some time to adress them. i hope you can take anything from this.

You rely a lot on parallel lines and tangents, which makes the animation itself hard to comprehend. sure you see whats going on, but blades covering blades, legs covering blades, blades covering legs. its just hard to see what happening in each frame specifically, it turns into a visual blur if parallel lines.

Another thing that is really hard to see for me is which leg is which. the motions itself seems to be correct (alternating arm and leg movement) but at the same time it seems wrong.

The mood i get from the sprite and animation itself is a brutal, fearless, stalkery kind of "i will end you". The extreme head  bobbing is actually detremental to the whole feel and adds a comedic element that feels completely out of place for me, at least how it is down right now.

As for the actual sprite, the things that tells you BIRD is obviously the head and the feet, but the rest of the anatomy is humanized so much that it feels like someone just put a head on a human. i don't know what you're going for so i just played around with different design ideas to make it more birdy.

In order to get a more bird like appeal i looked for things that birds have, that humans dont but that could be easily applied without changing the silhouette too much. I tried to go for more flush shoulders, slightly more wing-shaped arms and obligatory chicken legs (:D) since other features are likely taking away from the original design (tail, puffy, body, short legs (since most of the leg is hidden under the feathers))

On to finally adress shading. Your sprite is lit straight up from the front, which in my experience makes it very hard to shade, to bring out forms and features, as well as having a uniform scheme going on. i dont know why you chose that lighting scheme, maybe it fits in your game, in which case it is fine, but generally it is recommended to work with a top light source (sun/moon/ceiling lights etc) to get a more consistent environment design.

Offline rocifier

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: March 14, 2016, 09:07:25 pm
This is creepy as !@#$. Love it. But the balance isn't right... with a head that large he would just topple forward. I actually like the slow animation style though and parallel lines, it's different.

Offline jahasaja

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: March 16, 2016, 09:22:05 pm
Thanks for all the feedback!

KonradGM Yeah I am trying to make it birdlike like mystermeats pic. Not sure if fully succeed.

Mysterymeat: I am trying to jut the head forward in every step. Do you think it should be more pronounced?

Hellpug: I tried to fix the arm. Not fully perfect though.

wzl Wow, thanks for all the feedback.
-I think it becomes more dynamic if some parts cover up others in some frames. But I tried to make it more pronounced and with less parallel lines.
- Yeah the legs are hard to see which one is which (easier if you look at the cloth). The legs are actually not alternating like it should do but instead the "wrong" way to make it more brutish/hulking.
-I like the head boobing since makes it more animal-like and just not any other brute.
-I did put a bird on a human. (Or actually a bird on a dog head another enemy in the game  )
-amazing remake your skills are miles ahead of mine. I looked at that and tried to create similar chicken legs (without the muscles)
-Yup the whole game A Bastard's Tale has lightning from the front  My first game so I did not know what was the best. 

"Roclfler" Yeah He might fall forward.. Perhaps the edit makes it a little bit more balanced.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 09:28:31 pm by jahasaja »

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #13 on: March 17, 2016, 12:12:08 am
Thanks for all the feedback!

KonradGM Yeah I am trying to make it birdlike like mystermeats pic. Not sure if fully succeed.

Mysterymeat: I am trying to jut the head forward in every step. Do you think it should be more pronounced?

Hellpug: I tried to fix the arm. Not fully perfect though.

wzl Wow, thanks for all the feedback.
-I think it becomes more dynamic if some parts cover up others in some frames. But I tried to make it more pronounced and with less parallel lines.
- Yeah the legs are hard to see which one is which (easier if you look at the cloth). The legs are actually not alternating like it should do but instead the "wrong" way to make it more brutish/hulking.
-I like the head boobing since makes it more animal-like and just not any other brute.
-I did put a bird on a human. (Or actually a bird on a dog head another enemy in the game  )
-amazing remake your skills are miles ahead of mine. I looked at that and tried to create similar chicken legs (without the muscles)
-Yup the whole game A Bastard's Tale has lightning from the front  My first game so I did not know what was the best. 

"Roclfler" Yeah He might fall forward.. Perhaps the edit makes it a little bit more balanced.

Definitely looks more birdlike in motion. I think you should try to work with the original speed though, this strikes me as a sort of pyramid head-y "slow but gon fuck you up" type character
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline rocifier

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: March 17, 2016, 03:25:32 am
I tried to keep the spirit of your animation but fix the main problems. The biggest change came by deleting frame 7 which was redundant. Other changes: Added knee joints which make it easier to track the thin legs. Adjusted upper body weight back on about half the frames for balance. Made legs a bit more rigid at the knee and lift slightly higher on pass-through keyframes. Tried to exaggerate impact of front foot. Head was tweaked a bit, but could still use a little more work to get it in sync properly.

« Last Edit: March 17, 2016, 03:37:33 am by rocifier »