AuthorTopic: proper way to hold a pencil while drawing..  (Read 16416 times)

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Re: proper way to hold a pencil while drawing..

Reply #20 on: September 26, 2006, 01:57:01 am
i get told all the time i hold my pencils wrong, however i draw better than those people.
:lol:

Ya, das me. I've tried other positions but they all feel so wierd and pointless. I'm sure that some people find it useful to switch positions for drawing/sketching/shading, etc., but I could never get the hang of it.

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #21 on: September 26, 2006, 02:08:35 am
How very odd, I find it impossible to hold it like that. Plus, you have more movment in your finger, therefore it's easier to use the buttons with fingers than your thumb.

In fact I tried it today, it's not that hard, and you don't need much movement anyway to press that button. Also I use the buttons on my wacom an awefull low, second colour in ProMotion and i can assure that that's not good for the tendon if you do it alot, thumb seems to be healthier.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline sharprm

• INTP/INTJ
    • View Profile

Reply #22 on: September 26, 2006, 11:04:39 am
I hold mine weasel's way. In highschool one year my handwriting was so bad I changed how i held the pen and practiced like that
for a while so people could read my essays. But when i tried drawing (holding in new position) i had no control and drew really badly. It really freaked me out and took me a while to remember how i use to hold my pen. Moral of the story is never try to improve your handwriting.
Modern artists are told that they must create something totally original-or risk being called "derivative".They've been indoctrinated with the concept that bad=good.The effect is always the same: Meaningless primitivism
http://www.artrenewal.org/articles/Philosophy/phi

Offline Weasel

• View Profile

Reply #23 on: September 26, 2006, 07:31:28 pm
In fact I tried it today, it's not that hard, and you don't need much movement anyway to press that button. Also I use the buttons on my wacom an awefull low, second colour in ProMotion and i can assure that that's not good for the tendon if you do it alot, thumb seems to be healthier.

I don't tend to use the buttons an awful lot, unless I'm using my tablet for browsing the internet. Though I might try to get used to the whole using the button with your thumb thing, I'm not all to keen on the sound of it being bad for your tendons.

Although, that said, I really have to pull my thumb back to use the button and (as I tend only to use the first end of the button) with my finger I can just click. Thumb feels really uncomfortable, might have something to do with the fact I have small, stumpy little hands (as you can likely see in the picture), being only just over 5 foot tall and female.
WARNING - This post may contain incredibly bad spelling and/or grammar due to the dyslexic nature of the poster. Please ignore this until the problem can be rectified.

Offline Keops

• RibsChirino
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/189965.htm
    • View Profile
    • Behance portfolio

Reply #24 on: September 26, 2006, 07:43:11 pm
I didn't thought there was a "proper" way to hold a pencil or any artistic instrument for that matter...

Whatever floats your boat as they say. However, just for those curious I hold a pencil with three fingers and I feel pretty comfortable doing so.
I guess there's no proper way, to each his own.

See ya.
Hearthstead: Art thread - Website - Twitter

COMMISSIONS OPEN! Behance portfolio

Offline hawken

• 8bit fantasy
    • hawkun
    • View Profile
    • my portfolio

Reply #25 on: September 27, 2006, 10:47:52 am
finger:

thumb:

If anything, I think Wacom are correct, using your thumb looks a lot less painful over time. Well, thats the correct way for a wacom anyway ;)
twitter: https://twitter.com/hawkun
Pirate Pop Plus for 3DS, WiiU & Steam!

Offline Rox

• View Profile

Reply #26 on: September 27, 2006, 11:51:27 am
I've always held pencils in a strange, and eventually painful way, but that's what I'm used to. I let the bottom of the pencil rest against my ring finger, the above two resting next to each other on the top of the pencil (close to where the buttons are on a Wacom pen, but further apart) and the thumb just rests around the pencil so its tip touches the side of the index finger.

It's a weird position... I guess that position helped make my pencil drawings so damn small. It's perfect for the tiniest of movement. Hurts to write with for long periods of time...

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #27 on: September 27, 2006, 11:16:00 pm
I've always held pencils in a strange, and eventually painful way, but that's what I'm used to. I let the bottom of the pencil rest against my ring finger, the above two resting next to each other on the top of the pencil (close to where the buttons are on a Wacom pen, but further apart) and the thumb just rests around the pencil so its tip touches the side of the index finger.

It's a weird position... I guess that position helped make my pencil drawings so damn small. It's perfect for the tiniest of movement. Hurts to write with for long periods of time...

...its like we are twins :D

and yeah, the eventual pain.......it's a killer on essay tests

a friendly tip to those who share my suffering:: this pilates exercise releases the tension in moments

just make sure the arm you are balancing on is the one you write/draw with, as this does nothing the other way around

a forget who showed me that, i think it was my friend steph
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.