AuthorTopic: proper way to hold a pencil while drawing..  (Read 16417 times)

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Re: proper way to hold a pencil while drawing..

Reply #10 on: September 24, 2006, 03:38:18 pm
actually i guess my thumb doesnt really hold the pencil exactly, its held by the middle and index fingers, resting on the ring finger, and the thumb goes over the pencil and rests on the second joint of the index, and the pinky flicks across underneath to brush....like i said, its a bit odd
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #11 on: September 24, 2006, 03:55:34 pm

Offline Weasel

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: September 24, 2006, 04:56:30 pm
The 'quadrupedal grip' seems to be a lot more common than I though, I've always held my pen that way, and have often been told it was the wrong way. Though that said I do change my grip to draw in a certain way sometimes, if I'm sketching/doing loose work I tend to hold the pen very oddly. Examples follow...

The way I generally hold pens -

The 'correct' way to hold a pen (notice how awkward it looks when I try it  :P) -

And two ways I'll tend to hold the pen if sketching/doing loose work, which look horrific, but are actually more comfortable for me than the 'correct' grip -

So I'd just stick with what feels comfortable for you, if I hold the pen the 'correct' way it feels awful and nearly falls out of my grip half the time.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2006, 05:07:53 pm by Weasel »
WARNING - This post may contain incredibly bad spelling and/or grammar due to the dyslexic nature of the poster. Please ignore this until the problem can be rectified.

Offline hawken

• 8bit fantasy
    • hawkun
    • View Profile
    • my portfolio

Reply #13 on: September 25, 2006, 02:04:11 am
wacom advise that you should rest the barrel buttons under your thumb.

I always try but they end up under my index finger 9 times out of 10

Japanese people often hold pens vertically, or even with the eraser end pointing slightly away from ones body.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2006, 02:05:48 am by hawken »
twitter: https://twitter.com/hawkun
Pirate Pop Plus for 3DS, WiiU & Steam!

Offline goat

• bl33t
    • View Profile

Reply #14 on: September 25, 2006, 12:28:11 pm
IMO, anyone who argues that there are one or more "proper" ways to hold a pencil or pen is just looking for another way to divide artists up among pointless lines.  If you've been taught that way, I'd advise trying new things.  The grip that works best for you in a given situation probably isn't in the drawing handbooks.  I tend to change mine up every minute or so depending on what I'm doing, and with what.
typing ewith fdace

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: September 25, 2006, 01:05:18 pm
IMO, anyone who argues that there are one or more "proper" ways to hold a pencil or pen is just looking for another way to divide artists up among pointless lines.  If you've been taught that way, I'd advise trying new things.  The grip that works best for you in a given situation probably isn't in the drawing handbooks.  I tend to change mine up every minute or so depending on what I'm doing, and with what.

well said man
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Ensellitis

• stop stealing my toast, please
    • View Profile

Reply #16 on: September 25, 2006, 01:05:43 pm
i get told all the time i hold my pencils wrong, however i draw better than those people.  it is all about what fits you.

this is how i usually hold mine hold mine:

thanks weasel, i was feeling to lazy to get a pen/camera then download from camera/upload to server  :P

but that changes depending on what i am drawing...  kinda like goat said, there is no true proper way...

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #17 on: September 25, 2006, 03:25:00 pm
There arent any set guidelines on how to hold a pencil, therefore deeming this thread pointless.

My uncle is paralazyed from the neck down and is a better artist than anyone here.  He holds his brushes/pencils in his mouth, so you should be grateful you have hands to draw with  ;)

Offline Weasel

• View Profile

Reply #18 on: September 25, 2006, 06:28:49 pm
wacom advise that you should rest the barrel buttons under your thumb.

I always try but they end up under my index finger 9 times out of 10

How very odd, I find it impossible to hold it like that. Plus, you have more movment in your finger, therefore it's easier to use the buttons with fingers than your thumb.

Anyway, I agree on the whole 'no right way'. Seems to me teachers just get paranoid about details or now the whole 'the child might develop some problem with their hands' thing. Especially for artists, holding a pen whatever way is most comfortable and produces your best work makes sense.

WARNING - This post may contain incredibly bad spelling and/or grammar due to the dyslexic nature of the poster. Please ignore this until the problem can be rectified.

Offline Skull

• View Profile
    • Viva La Skull

Reply #19 on: September 25, 2006, 07:44:36 pm
I've been told, that infact, some people were taught to hold a pencil/ pen between their index and middle finger.. now that to me is a little odd.. I think it wouldn't give the flexiblity as needed, which is given in the images shown above.