AuthorTopic: My first bits of pixel art (Critiques welcome!)  (Read 2894 times)

Offline Mnots

• @_Mnots
    • http://pixeljoint.com/pixels/profile.asp#iv
    • View Profile
    • Livingston Games

My first bits of pixel art (Critiques welcome!)

on: March 11, 2016, 12:43:36 pm
Hey everybody! I've been a lurker for quite a while now, and recently put up an ad in search of a pixel artist to help with my game. Haven't had any luck, but I've been working on improving my own skills since then. I've got a few mob designs and some basic environment sprites done, and thought I'd share.

Feedback is appreciated!

Trees: (Pines or Cedars? Don't know. Some kind of evergreen.)

Mobs:

Offline Pusty

• I like cheese
    • View Profile

Re: My first bits of pixel art (Critiques welcome!)

Reply #1 on: March 11, 2016, 08:29:36 pm
Quite like it!
Just noticed the blue eyes (especially the left top one) have banding in them.
Also the orange looks kinda noisy. Looking forward to see more!
Just a random hobby gamedev passing by O:
[Ludum Dare][Itch.io]

Offline Mnots

• @_Mnots
    • View Profile
    • Livingston Games

Reply #2 on: March 12, 2016, 01:56:24 am
Thanks! I'm not sure I understand what the banding is in the eyes (Not a very experienced pixel artist, as you can probably tell).

I looked into it a bit. Is it just how the shades are stacked in lines? I thought that'd be a good way to do the line-like portions of the iris.

The "noise" in the orange is meant to convey bumpiness. The mob is supposed to have a sort of tongue-like texture. Any ideas on how to improve that?

Offline Vertigo

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: March 12, 2016, 11:29:59 am
These trees are amazing! I love them! Also the shading is good for me in all pictures.

If this orange mob is supposed to look like a tongue, maybe You should make it more pink and flesh-looking. You could also add this sinew under the tongue or something like this.
I think these white things in the orange guy look like mouths. If so, maybe You could make it easier to reckognize, for example adding teeth, tongues (hehe), because it looks like eyes from Terraria for now.  :)

Offline tsej

• View Profile
    • Art and Code

Reply #4 on: March 12, 2016, 12:49:18 pm
Hi! First off, welcome to pixelation! 

I really like the monster designs. They're quite good!
The contrast is nice, I like the palette and the overall execution is pretty good. I can instantly make out what they are. Good job!

Keep practicing, and have a good day!
« Last Edit: March 13, 2016, 12:26:48 am by tsej »
Correct me if I'm wrong

Offline Mnots

• @_Mnots
    • View Profile
    • Livingston Games

Reply #5 on: March 13, 2016, 12:50:23 am
If this orange mob is supposed to look like a tongue, maybe You should make it more pink and flesh-looking. You could also add this sinew under the tongue or something like this.
I think these white things in the orange guy look like mouths. If so, maybe You could make it easier to reckognize, for example adding teeth, tongues (hehe), because it looks like eyes from Terraria for now.  :)

The orangey flesh is intended. It's supposed to make him look more earthy looking. He's not exactly a tongue, just bumpy like one. :P

and yeah, they're supposed to be mouths. The white is the teeth, and pink the interior of the mouth. I was unsure how to make the teeth seem separated with such a small color pallet, so I stuck to something simple. I'll try to make them a bit more defined. I think animating the mouths will help a lot with that, though.

Keep practicing, and have a good day!

Hey tsej! I happened to read your other post while at work today, but was unable to reply. Not sure why you edited it out. . .

The trees could definitely use some more definition within the branch layers. Admittedly, I kind of rushed through them. haha
« Last Edit: March 13, 2016, 12:52:39 am by Mnots »

Offline Mnots

• @_Mnots
    • View Profile
    • Livingston Games

Reply #6 on: March 15, 2016, 09:13:30 pm
Did a bit of recoloring on the Beholder's eyes, trying to get rid of the banding. I feel like it looks a bit better. Not entirely sure, though.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2016, 02:02:55 pm by Mnots »