AuthorTopic: Low-res Doomguy  (Read 5159 times)

Offline DevilBlackDeath

• View Profile

Low-res Doomguy

on: March 07, 2016, 08:07:55 pm
Hello guys,

So with a new Doom around the corner, I thought I'd try to do a low-res Doomguy based on Doom 1/2's hero. It is meant to mimic what it would be like if Doom was a 2D run'n'gun  ;) All feedback will be valuable and appreciated and since I'm not 100% happy with it, feel free once again to do edits of it to show me my mistakes (after all, isn't an image worth a thousand words, even more so for artists)

With gray BG :

Offline Cherno

• View Profile

Re: Low-res Doomguy

Reply #1 on: March 07, 2016, 10:20:12 pm
Two things that come to my mind:1
1. The helmet is not that bucket-like; more ball-shaped.
2. The armor doesn't look like armor but more like a green suit; the famous bare midriff is missing  as well :)

Of course, I don't know if these details can even be reasonably represented at this scale.

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #2 on: March 08, 2016, 05:52:34 am

Here, a solid ref on the helmet. There's no striping like you've got here, and it's got more of a chunky blocky look to it than a rounded one like you've drawn.
Good stuff though!
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline DevilBlackDeath

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: March 08, 2016, 10:45:27 am

Here, a solid ref on the helmet. There's no striping like you've got here, and it's got more of a chunky blocky look to it than a rounded one like you've drawn.
Good stuff though!

Yeah, wanted to modernize it a bit :S Although I've indeed gone a bit overboard ahah ! Will look into that and try to do some edits, thanks guys

Oh also, any advice as to how to make it look like an armor? I know it doesn't look like it but I've struggled to do anything in that vein, to no good unfortunately :( Which is why I ended up using a "flat" cloth.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2016, 11:01:34 am by DevilBlackDeath »

Offline DevilBlackDeath

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: March 08, 2016, 12:51:16 pm
So, just did a small edit ! Here's the result :

And a comp. just to have a better view at differences :

Edit : I did a small edit of the metal reflection on the barrel cause I wasn't happy with it, and I also edited the shape of the glass on the helmet, it can all be seen on the second image

Edit 2 : Updated the shadow on the grip under the barrel, can also be seen on the second image
« Last Edit: March 08, 2016, 12:57:29 pm by DevilBlackDeath »

Offline ENDESGA

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: March 08, 2016, 09:28:36 pm
I think he meant to make the helmet smaller. Think of body shapes and ratios; some of the best 'small' characters are still in proportion :)

Offline Cherno

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: March 09, 2016, 11:16:10 am
I think the mouthpiece / respirator attachment of the helmet could be more present, like in a lighter color or something.

Offline DevilBlackDeath

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: March 09, 2016, 12:15:12 pm
I think the mouthpiece / respirator attachment of the helmet could be more present, like in a lighter color or something.

Yeah, I've been wondering if I should do that. I even tried a lighter metal color but it didn't fit ! I should probably try something a bit colorful, if only to add a bit more hue shifts because it could indeed use some presence  :(