AuthorTopic: [CC] Moribund Viking  (Read 2339 times)

Offline Vertigo

• View Profile

[CC] Moribund Viking

on: March 03, 2016, 09:41:10 pm
Hello Everyone!

I'm a total newbie in making pixelart, so I found this forum to learn more. i decided to give You an example of my work.
I wanted to draw a knight in funny hat hit by an arrow. Yes, he is above the ground.

Could You tell me, what can I improve and change in my "style"?
I would be very happy with any critique about it.

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • paintbread
    • paintbread
    • View Profile

Re: [CC] Moribund Viking

Reply #1 on: March 03, 2016, 10:25:27 pm
hello, i see this already has a lot of potential, there is a good rainy mood, i can feel/taste the air almost, you have good atmosphere in it.

I would like to stress that its clear how you are thinking, almost like a 3d modeller starts with basic cubes or spheres, except you are just using those as shorthand for things such as the shoulder pads, they are like jelly beans or something

what i think would help you is to look at real shoulder pads, then think of how you symbolized them, and maybe blend the two, to create your own symbol for the thing. if you look at any established artist's style you will see they often have a few "rules" they augment reality with, to create their new stylized universe. if you like the look of round, bulbous things, practice understanding each and every thing you draw, and then apply your style to it.

also, it looks like he is holding a weird gun. he doesnt look like hes in pain, or reacting to having an arrow in his torso. why is he jumping? the scene doesnt make sense without your explanation. you need to create context for stuff like this. just moving a character upwards, and putting a shadow under him, does not create "jumping" in ones mind, just floating. think about how someone would jump, how their legs would move, how he would press onto the flag pole, how he would crumple if it was in reaction to being struck by an arrow, how to create context for the arrow being just shot (maybe extend the canvas and show scene from the pov of the archer or just over his shoulder?)

looking forward to seeing where you take this.

Offline Pusty

• I like cheese
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: March 03, 2016, 10:35:55 pm
You might want to take a look into colors as well. (Higher contrast on the skin colors for example)
Also you have some banding on the weapon (Link)
Just a random hobby gamedev passing by O:
[Ludum Dare][Itch.io]

Offline 0xDB

• Dennis inter-is.
    • dennisbusch_de
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/1287.htm
    • 0xdb
    • View Profile
    • 0xDB

Reply #3 on: March 04, 2016, 12:16:30 am
I wanted to draw a knight in funny hat hit by an arrow.

My apologies upfront for this edit not being as useful as originally intended (I had a whole progress animation but lost the animation in a crash, so now unfortunately you do not get to see how your original image gradually transitioned into the sloppy mess down there).

Your intention was to draw a knight, ... , hit by an arrow. When I looked at your image, I had to look for a while to notice that arrow and the knight did not look like he was in much pain or shock (as I imagine a knight would be when an arrow strikes him). So, my primary suggestion is to go for a much more dynamic pose and a composition that draws the viewer in to the most important parts (here: arrow! knight in pain and shock!) you wanted to portray so that the action is immediately obvious at first glance. More suggestions: up the contrast, use fewer colors, don't render each strand of grass individually, just hint at the idea of grass somewhere if it's important, exaggerate the expression and action (don't be afraid to imply a ridiculous amount of force coming from the arrow on impact... buckets of blood are always good too!)

Offline Vertigo

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: March 04, 2016, 08:41:07 pm
Hello!
After all Your advices I realised that I should delete this drawing and start again with blank project. I will do this, but first  I wanted to do something with this drawing - I wanted to make it look at least not bad.

Step 1. First of all I changed his head, because it was terrible. I also took an example of steel plated legs from Mr 0xBD and change a bit pennon to make it more gentle. I also changed the stick to an spear, but I'm not glad in 100% about effect. I changed the grass effect and shadow, again from Mr 0xBD.
So, Mr Atnas, I tried to feel like this man and do something to explain his floating. I decided to make him fall down on the ground after taking an aroow, so it's pushed a bit inside, and around his wound there is more blood. Also I changed shoulder pads. I think now they are less jelly. I moved his right hand, so it doesn't look like holding a gun
He's a viking, so I added more muscles, but I don't know if they are ok.

Step 2. My friend suggested adding details like leather straps, nails and other things. I made him a veteran by making scars on face and arms, but I don't know if they are visible enough.

Step 3. Explaining situation. I added a beams of light to show that the valkyries are taking him to Valhalla. I think they break cold colours and I'm not sure about their shape. I also added menhirs in background to break the line of horizon.

Step 4. I added a valkyrie and beams looking like lighnings. I didn't want to have this big green spots, so I added some stones.

So, what do You think about it? I know that I wasn't directly doing what You've told me, but I tried to improve this one. And thank You for Your advices (yeah, it should be in the beggining)!

Offline 0xDB

• Dennis inter-is.
    • dennisbusch_de
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/1287.htm
    • 0xdb
    • View Profile
    • 0xDB

Reply #5 on: March 24, 2016, 12:11:18 am
So, what do You think about it?
It strayed ever further away from your original intention and while there are some trippy effects in the sky now and the rendition of the viking and armor are a bit better, the "hit by an arrow" part is completely lost. But well... "Carry we who die in battle, over land and sea, across the rainbow bridge, to valhalla!, Odin's waiting for me."  :blind: