AuthorTopic: Man swinging guitar  (Read 2868 times)

Offline Jicklus

• View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Man swinging guitar

on: March 01, 2016, 06:52:52 pm
I made this small animation of a guy swinging a guitar. I still think it could be improved, the arms look a bit weird for a start and it could do with him looking like he's putting a bit more effort in too, but I wouldn't know where to start. All criticisms appreciated :D. It's not meant to loop by the way.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 08:41:17 pm by Jicklus »

Offline yrizoud

• View Profile

Re: Man swinging guitar

Reply #1 on: March 01, 2016, 10:36:27 pm
To make a good animation of a dynamic movement, you need to actually redraw a lot of the anatomy  rather than do small modifications. It's more work  :'( but that's the secret.
Study a similar animation, like Double Dragon's bat-swinging here :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=jo6R6LqpNNY#t=250
This case has only 4 striking frames, but you'll notice they are quite carefully chosen (In animation they are often called key frames, as they show something at a "key moment" of the action). The animation goes "full circle", and the bat only stops when it's completely behind the character.
Also, note that the body (shoulders) goes in the opposite direction as the bat, to show that the character compensates for the weight. Weight is important.

If you use it as a reference, be careful that Double Dragon anatomy has issues of "short thin legs - big head", you should probably not rely on these body proportions. (It's even worse in a later Techmos game, "The Combatribes". I think it was assumed as a kind of "SD" style, it afforded enough room to put more details on arms and faces )

edit: Found another kind of reference : See the playable characters animations of Golden Axe :
http://www.spriters-resource.com/genesis_32x_scd/goldenaxe/
With 4 frames too, they clearly show the same principles.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 10:41:51 pm by yrizoud »

Offline Roach

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: March 02, 2016, 05:50:57 am
Your guitar is extremely un-proportional compared to the guy which is a problem in the animation IMO.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2016, 06:20:17 am by Roach »

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #3 on: March 07, 2016, 06:24:44 am
during the midswing it might help to have him lean forward and have his arms stretch out further. Not going to get much impact swinging from the elbows, ay?
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline Yarsu

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: March 16, 2016, 12:10:51 pm
I don't think the guitar is un-proportional, it's size is ok for me. The animation looks like Lemmy Kilmister. He should move not only arms but the shoulders too immo.

Offline Roach

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: March 17, 2016, 06:42:03 pm
I don't think the guitar is un-proportional, it's size is ok for me.
The neck of the guitar is too short, also the body of the guitar should be slightly bigger than his head. The headstock is also kind of short.