AuthorTopic: Drew a castle scene thing, I used 10 colors (if that counts outlines and such)  (Read 5241 times)

Offline kalphablue

• Miitonius
    • (Have one, but forgot the name)
    • View Profile
MysteryMeat is right about the guy blending into the hills.  The image's value structure is weak.  Here is what you have:

far: bright sun and sky
medium-far: mid-bright hills
medium-near: mid-dark tower
near: mid-bright character.

So overall it looks like you are making farther away things brighter, and closer things darker.  That works and makes sense given where you've placed the light source (the sun).  The problem is that the knight's level of brightness is too similar to the hills, meaning that he gets lost among them.  To fit with the rest of your image he should be darker, the darkest thing in the image.

The fact that the knight is a different hue is not that important.  Value is far more important than hue, even among those of us with normal color vision.

Ah, I see what you mean. It's harder for me to darken things without using more colors, as I use MS Paint.

If you need a solid replacement, I recommend aseprite. The pre-1.0 versions are free, and the current version's only ten bucks if i'm remembering right. It's a pretty solid program, works off a cell-based color system that makes it easy to do recolors and such.
Been using it for a couple years now.
Thanks, it looks like it'll be a great time saver when I need to animate something. Although, it'll take awhile for me to get used to it. I couldn't even find zoom.
Did my first pixel art drawing in early 2014, began doing pixel art more frequently in early 2015.

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!
MysteryMeat is right about the guy blending into the hills.  The image's value structure is weak.  Here is what you have:

So overall it looks like you are making farther away things brighter, and closer things darker.  That works and makes sense given where you've placed the light source (the sun).  The problem is that the knight's level of brightness is too similar to the hills, meaning that he gets lost among them.  To fit with the rest of your image he should be darker, the darkest thing in the image.

The fact that the knight is a different hue is not that important.  Value is far more important than hue, even among those of us with normal color vision.

Ah, I see what you mean. It's harder for me to darken things without using more colors, as I use MS Paint.

If you need a solid replacement, I recommend aseprite. The pre-1.0 versions are free, and the current version's only ten bucks if i'm remembering right. It's a pretty solid program, works off a cell-based color system that makes it easy to do recolors and such.
Thanks, it looks like it'll be a great time saver when I need to animate something. Although, it'll take awhile for me to get used to it. I couldn't even find zoom.

Should be the scroll wheel.
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline kalphablue

• Miitonius
    • (Have one, but forgot the name)
    • View Profile

Should be the scroll wheel.
Ah, so that's why I couldn't find it; I use a laptop with no mouse.
Did my first pixel art drawing in early 2014, began doing pixel art more frequently in early 2015.

Offline rocifier

• View Profile
I don't know how you pixel without a mouse. But try Grafx2

Offline trough

• View Profile
A mouse would be better, but I use a laptop with only the trackpad and recommend Grafx2, too.  Almost every button has a one-letter keyboard shortcut; 'd' for drawing tool, 'l' for line tool, scroll with arrow keys.  Pressing F1 while hovering over a button or while viewing a menu activates the built-in help feature for that command, where you can see and remap the keyboard shortcuts.