AuthorTopic: Learning Quest - tilesets, objects, and mock-ups! Help me grow!  (Read 5041 times)

Offline floydshayvious

• floydshayvious
    • agesend
    • agesend
    • View Profile
    • Ages End
Hi!  Trying not to ramble so...

Some 16x16 grass tiles.  I've read "always start small", and somewhere "Start by making a grass tile - a damn good one" - maybe here!  The first two are my first pixel tiles ever - and the second two are an attempt to revise and improve them on my own.  I'm 33 - am I too late to get into this?  Thanks in advance - be gentle please haha!

Hope I'm posting all this correctly - using imgur for now I guess...

« Last Edit: March 19, 2016, 03:17:46 pm by floydshayvious »

Offline Pusty

• I like cheese
    • View Profile

Re: New here! Some grass!

Reply #1 on: March 01, 2016, 12:04:14 am
I really like these! But the plain grass tile with only color needs some texture
Just a random hobby gamedev passing by O:
[Ludum Dare][Itch.io]

Offline washk

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: March 01, 2016, 01:44:44 pm
Hey, you sense of color seems already pretty good, it seems to me you are up for quick progress. Don't hesitate to go for pixel_dailies on twitter, I find it's a good way to progress quickly. Don't hesitate to come back for feedback here after. I don't think age is relevant, started from scratch pixelart 2 years ago, I'm 32, I have done really big progress, even tho I know I won't top some of the people here, it's pretty satisfying.

Pusty is right about texture, even if it's small patchs of grass on some titles. Second grass is maybe a bit too contrasted.

Looking forward to see more.
My twitter @pixelwashk | Devlog

Offline floydshayvious

• floydshayvious
    • agesend
    • agesend
    • View Profile
    • Ages End

Reply #3 on: March 04, 2016, 11:34:18 pm
Pusty: Thank you.  I agree - I'm trying to figure that out haha!

washk: I will certainly not hesitate - although it makes me nervous haha!  I created a twitter account (still figuring everything out) so I could start participating in Pixel Dailies the same day I posted the thread.  If not anything else - it's fun so far.  (https://twitter.com/floydshayvious) - I think that will link you correctly?

____

Another version of those 16x16 grass tiles.  I will murder this grass before I move on.  I have a mock up idea I guess, but I feel like I'm going through the dark forest with a flickering flashlight - hence the focus on bare bones grass tiles.  This one seems the better of the three so far IMO but I've still got that plain green in there - I tried to make a 'sparse grass' tile along with the thick grass tile.  Even stuck some tiny amanitas and morels in there for prop sake.

Thanks for the kind words and guidance - this is a great place.  And so is Twitter - I feel bad for ever talking shit about it lol.

Offline rocifier

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: March 14, 2016, 10:21:28 am
I actually like the first two more. The second two are a bit noisy, and remind me of static on a CRT monitor.

Offline floydshayvious

• floydshayvious
    • agesend
    • agesend
    • View Profile
    • Ages End

Reply #5 on: March 15, 2016, 04:43:39 pm
rocifier:  Thanks for the input!  I thought the first set was way too dull but I like the grass clump forms more than the single/double/triple pixels.  I'm trying to find some kind of balance as I learn tileset things.  I'm thinking I may have went too small and may need to bump it all up to 32x32 or something.  Don't know too much of what I'm doing - but I have a mock up idea I'd love to works towards - sort of a DnD overhead map thing.

I'll be updating this soon - just want to do the best I can on the grass before I move on instead of trying to mix and match everything.  Thanks again!

Offline Ambivorous

• If you can't do; inspire.
    • ambivorous
    • ambivorous
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/47949.htm
    • ambivorous
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: March 15, 2016, 06:54:37 pm
Hi,

Really liked your style so I tried to make few changes.

Mostly changed your flowers and mushrooms. Little bit of perspective tweaking, little bit of palette shifting, smidgen change in texture and lightsource. Have a look and see if you can get anything out of it.
I also changed your grass tiles to -hopefully- tile while hiding the grid better, but I didn't actually test them, so could be wrong. [/lazy]
Oh yeah bare in mind I only edited that middle section and not the actual tiles (although I used the bucket tool for changes in colour, so they're everywhere).

As for age it's never too late. I'm 28 (today even) and I only started like 4 years ago. Would have been better sooner if I had enough conviction and actually knew art. Good luck!
* may contain misinformation

Offline floydshayvious

• floydshayvious
    • agesend
    • agesend
    • View Profile
    • Ages End

Reply #7 on: March 15, 2016, 07:21:38 pm
Ambivorous - Appreciate the paint over and your more skilled eye!  I'll check the grass tiling later but I really like the mushroom/flower edits with the perspective and colors at first glance.  They were something to play with so I wasn't staring at grass only haha!  With the concept I have in mind the props may not fit.  Little dark(ish) forest with kobolds and what not in it for a tiny map for mock up purposes.  That's a long way off though hehehe.

Again - as with your help on those wolfchild sprites - I love how those tiny changes can make a big difference.

Great to have this kind of help here.  Thanks y'all.

Offline rocifier

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: March 16, 2016, 12:37:57 pm
rocifier:  Thanks for the input!  I thought the first set was way too dull but I like the grass clump forms more than the single/double/triple pixels.  I'm trying to find some kind of balance as I learn tileset things.  I'm thinking I may have went too small and may need to bump it all up to 32x32 or something.  Don't know too much of what I'm doing - but I have a mock up idea I'd love to works towards - sort of a DnD overhead map thing.

I'll be updating this soon - just want to do the best I can on the grass before I move on instead of trying to mix and match everything.  Thanks again!

You have to remember the big picture though, you generally want darker less saturated base tiles and brighter more saturated and more contrasted sprites on top, so that the player can very easily spot what's what - the interactive stuff. That is the general theory anyway, rules are made to be broken. But I'd start with that idea in mind.

Offline floydshayvious

• floydshayvious
    • agesend
    • agesend
    • View Profile
    • Ages End

Reply #9 on: March 17, 2016, 11:46:18 pm
rocifier - Trying to keep that in mind!  Thank you!

___

Okay... ummm... little tiny mock-up trying to use some of what I've attempted to absorb here from all the feedback.  Basically going for some kind of pixel DnD map or something.  Less saturated base tiles and more saturated sprites.  Tried to keep perspective in mind.  Trying to set a mood - I like the gloominess.  Proud of the little globlins/kobolds/lizard things but I'm sure y'all could point out a lot hahaha!

16x16 tiles, objects, and mobs with what's supposed to be 32x32 (I think) trees.

One day at a time!  Thanks!

Offline Pusty

• I like cheese
    • View Profile

Reply #10 on: March 17, 2016, 11:57:51 pm
Looking great! I love the trees although they would look better if you would add some variation between them.
Same with the other stuff.
Just a random hobby gamedev passing by O:
[Ludum Dare][Itch.io]

Offline Ambivorous

• If you can't do; inspire.
    • ambivorous
    • ambivorous
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/47949.htm
    • ambivorous
    • View Profile

Reply #11 on: March 18, 2016, 08:23:06 pm
Yo again. ;D

Some thoughts.

Your trees were sparsely populated and they didn't take up much of their four tiles, which made it look like you could walk among them. I assumed this was not the case and made the trees take up more of the space and put trees in between trees to show this was a no-go-zone.

I created a hierarchy of your game objects using contrast and a few other things.
The most important things are your characters. They go all the way from black to white, and have a side view. They take up a lot of their tiles and their large simple blocks make them stick out even more.
Next important thing is objects the player can collide with. The trees are a little dark because i just used rough outlines, but with thin outlines (and potentially no outlines) the trees and chest should be on more or less the same level of contrast. The chest though also uses a lot of it's tile, has a side view and has big, blocky colours to show it is more important than the trees, because it is collidable and interactive.
The trees then are the next important thing, but are shown to be part of the map with the angle and lots of colours gradually going into one another.
Then there is the long grass and mushrooms. Low priority and just there to look pretty, so a 3/4 view and not much contrast.
Finally the ground with low saturation, little detail and very low contrast.

You could take these concepts even further and tweak them to get the desired feel.
Remember that the most important thing about the art is to help the player play the game and focus where he needs to.

I'm really looking forward to what more you come up with. Keep up the good work! :y:
(Also maybe update the topic subject, so that people know you're now working on tilesets and mockups.)
* may contain misinformation

Offline rocifier

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: March 19, 2016, 11:24:04 am
Looks different. I'd go even less saturated on the grass. Maybe change the hue slightly too and try not to use the background colour in the sprites that go on top of it.

Offline floydshayvious

• floydshayvious
    • agesend
    • agesend
    • View Profile
    • Ages End
Ambivorous:  Great crit ty for that AND the paint to illustrate those points.  Love what you did with the chest!  Thread title changed as well :)

rocifier:  Yep - I'm not quite settled on a particular concept so it's going to shift around a lot haha!  I agree with the colors - maybe a dull red on the mobs - like a tunic or something - to help them stand on against the green.  Also - I keep using dark outlines to make things pop.  I don't think that's necessary - just more mindful colors.

Thanks a bunch as always - be back soon!