AuthorTopic: [C+C]Pre Preparation(I guess?)  (Read 5559 times)

Offline DracoDragon42

• @DracoDragon42
    • View Profile

Re: [C+C]Pre Preparation(I guess?)

Reply #10 on: March 01, 2016, 03:20:04 pm
Ambivorous's  edit is very good, but by my personal taste I think that you should make the legs longer. It just kind of looks weird to me. If you want to do a certain style I would either make the legs longer or make the body shorter. It just doesn't look right to me. It's looking better though.

Offline Pusty

• I like cheese
    • View Profile

Reply #11 on: March 01, 2016, 08:38:43 pm
Thanks Ambivorous for your edit!
Also thank you Draco for your feedback as well :D

I'm not too happy with this hmm.
Just a random hobby gamedev passing by O:
[Ludum Dare][Itch.io]

Offline DracoDragon42

• @DracoDragon42
    • View Profile

Reply #12 on: March 01, 2016, 09:00:20 pm
If you're not too happy with it, then what do you want it to look like? If you know what you want it to look like then it will be easier to draw it how you want to. It will help a lot to visualize it and to think about exactly what you want it to look like.

Offline StarRaven

• Threadkiller
    • View Profile

Reply #13 on: March 02, 2016, 01:47:02 am
Also in the vein of what Draco said: what parts specifically do you not like about what you have now? If there's more wrong than right (and haven't we all been there, hahaha) what do you like about what you have already?

Offline aamatniekss

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: March 02, 2016, 07:54:56 am
Here are a few of my thoughts.
You're basically using too similar colours. no hue switching at all. Ideally when you're shading stuff you want your darker colours to go towards more bluish or purple hue, and towards yellow for highlights, because if you keep it on the same hue and just go up/down on brightness it looks very washed out.

I also changed the head shape, as it looked too \/.And changed the hair, as right now he kind of looked like he had a palm-tree on his head, like the sideshow bob from Simpsons.
I also showed two versions for the eyes, more anime'y eyes, if you're into those, or some simpler ones.

Offline walker

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: March 02, 2016, 09:36:57 am
Had fun with your design :)

I agree with a few of the suggestions in here already including leg length. I am very new to pixel art but I am loving it, so many techniques. I am focusing on hue shifting, which I think is really important from what I have learned so far. trying to emulate natural light and shadow is really cool, as well as using complementary colours in shadows. I did a few things here. made a few ramps going from green to green-blue and then blue to light blue. used that for most of the main colour work.

altered your jacket to be a blueish red, mainly just to see how it looked, adding more blue to the shadows. had to rework the palette a few times while working.

The important thing i learned with this exercise is to pay close attention to the saturation/value of all your midtones and work from there. The Saturation and Value need to be in line with eachother across all colours; i.e: they need to be roughly exposed to the same amount of light, shadows/highlights excluded. The most important thing is value/saturation, allowing you to 'go wild' with hue. Im no expert though clearly. I had to eyeballed the colour relationships as i worked. GL with your work.

Sonicspin your edit looks amazin love the use of green shadow. so appealing.

« Last Edit: March 02, 2016, 09:45:49 am by walker »

Offline Pusty

• I like cheese
    • View Profile

Reply #16 on: March 03, 2016, 10:54:56 pm
Well I'm not too sure what I want it to look like haha
I can't even image it. But looking back at it I know I didn't like the head shape and face lighning.

@aamatniekss
Well I liked the hair I had even if it looks like a palm-tree :P but anyways I tried to make something similar to your edit and tried to switch the hue a bit. I hope I didn't too bad

@walker
Thank you for reply. I really like what you did to he jacket and the hair! :D
Just a random hobby gamedev passing by O:
[Ludum Dare][Itch.io]