AuthorTopic: Tortured Soul  (Read 2514 times)

Offline Lavapatrol

• View Profile

Tortured Soul

on: February 28, 2016, 02:18:19 am
Man, this is like my third one this weekend. I've just been crankin' out the art, hoping for suggestions. I think I have finally nailed down a pixel style that I am good at.  ;D What do you think?

[EDIT]
Just fixed some thing, made it work more with "anatomy", and made the collar more visible.

« Last Edit: February 28, 2016, 02:23:35 am by Lavapatrol »

Offline kilenc

• just a kid trying to do him
    • http://pixeljoint.com/pixels/profile.asp
    • View Profile

Re: Tortured Soul

Reply #1 on: February 28, 2016, 03:34:25 am
it's not shaded, even tho you're using four different colors for both pallets (which is probably too many at this scale). shading would help a TON to in this, giving it a lot more depth, helping tell the hair from the arms etc.

actually, for your colors, even zooming in, I barely notice the contrast between a lot of them. at this scale, probably two reds and two greys, collapsing to a same purply color, would be all you need. that brings me to the color scheme, actually: there's not a connection between the red and grey, so I'd recommend adding a bit of red to your metal, it might make it fit more, giving a lot of unity to the piece.

finally, I'm confused on what this is: with the lack of contrast/shading, all i see is like a head and eye and chains, everything else is really indistinguishable. the line art also contributes to this, its really sloppy on the arms.

my biggest recommendation: don't "crank things out" when you're trying to learn. focus on making one piece the very best it can be, instead of doing as many as possible. you'll learn a lot better that way, that's how I learned. and I think with a better single piece, you'll learn techniques which will help all your pieces look a lot better, more developed, and more "mature."

to be blunt, and sorry if it's rude: right now the witch / fox / this thing all seem unfinished to me, but you've just moved past em. you say you're happy with em, I understand, but you could do a lot better (heck, I could too!)

Offline Roach

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: February 28, 2016, 04:06:41 am
I cant tell what it is.

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: February 28, 2016, 11:12:13 pm
also having trouble reading it.
it kinda looks like top down so we can see head and arms but its hard to tell.

Offline Lavapatrol

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: February 29, 2016, 01:14:05 am
I completely re-did it (overkill  :D)

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: February 29, 2016, 12:48:45 pm
ah can see much better now  :y:

sorry this is way off track but ur image made me feel like painting this

Offline MAVW

• hellomavw
    • View Profile
    • pixelmavw

Reply #6 on: February 29, 2016, 09:27:02 pm
I feel like the image is not interesting in itself, comparing to the one Decroded posted you can see that the angle of lighting gives it an interesting shade and therefore, a more pleasing to explore visually. (even though I don't like it that much)

The one thing that comes into my mind is the game 'I have no mouth and I must scream', that's where you get creative with the whole 'tortured soul' theme.   :blind: