AuthorTopic: I dont know what i have made  (Read 1959 times)

Offline thewizard

• Programmer, Pixel Artist, Animator and more
    • View Profile

I dont know what i have made

on: June 28, 2016, 09:47:58 am
Over grown robot things

I don't know why I made them but here they are.

jun

Re: I dont know what i have made

Reply #1 on: June 28, 2016, 09:52:01 am
Work on the contrast. They're also not very readable. Then we can talk design  :y:

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • paintbread
    • paintbread
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: June 28, 2016, 08:59:35 pm
These are some neat designs. I would recommend to introduce a darker tone as jun as said to increase the contrast. You can use this to help distinguish segments in places where it isnt all that clear. This isn't to say that every segment needs to have a darker line distinguishing it, but there are areas where this would help, because the monochrome material the robots are made of can become confusing at times.

The brown area is not so clear as to what it is, I don't think there's much descriptive about the way the colors are placed, I can't tell if they are concave or sticking out, or supposed to be flat, or what material they are.

The vines themselves could use a brighter yellow-green at the top. You have lighting on the robot itself with a clear light source at the top, but the fines themselves are more or less one color because of the low contrast. By introducing a light yellow green you can have the vines obey the light source. I think the vines being essentially 1 color is working towards flattening the entire robot, as it confuses the planes you're defining with the rest of your lighting.

But very cool designs nevertheless! I'd love to see them with the contrast issues fixed, as they're all rather unique.

Offline wzl

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: July 01, 2016, 01:12:23 pm
This is some nice thumbnailing. There are some cool designs in there but it lacks some direction.

Things i'd like to mention:
Material: it is hard to tell what each material is, my guess would be its dirty rusty metal, but it could also be just mud. Try to find a material you want to go for. Rust is something thats pretty hard to convey, for me at least, in that resolution. Rust usually works well when accompanied by still clean metal, which makes it difficult to implement in that resolution.

Colors: Colors and materials are kind of related. You went for a lot of earthy tones. There is no color variety, no 'hot spots' to look at, no contrast (neither in color or brightness), everything looks samey and flat. The design seem fun, but they dont look fun.

Design: The individual ideas are pretty cool, but lack flashing out. They have a pretty broken appearance thanks to that, but it doenst seem deliberate, but sloppy. Like atnas said its hard to make out what is what. try to think of the function of the robot and design them accordingly. you can go step by step and just add things here and there, until it is not a bunch of random clusters, but something that feels inherent to the design.

Making them worn out: This can be a tough one. I found it easier to start with the robot in its original state, then continue to a broken one, and finally add some moss and vines. This process can help you to figure out how and why something is broken. The second and third step are actually pretty straight forward once you got the main design down. Just add some scratches and dents, remove some bits, twist some parts and finally add some vines where you'd think they would grow.

Here's a process gif visualizing some of the points i made:

Looking forward to some more bots  :y: :)

Offline thewizard

• Programmer, Pixel Artist, Animator and more
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: July 01, 2016, 10:40:57 pm
Thanks for all the feed back when I get time ill work on them some more.