AuthorTopic: Pattern Recognition  (Read 4767 times)

Offline Indigo

• Administrator
  • Artist, Indie Game Dev
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/849.htm
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Re: Pattern Recognition

Reply #10 on: February 26, 2016, 08:27:40 pm
I would like to have this thread closed now. Thank you.

uhh... really?  No, I'm not going to do that.  That's really rude to start a conversation that takes quite a lot of time and effort from the other participants who have really tried to understand and engage with you, and then just abruptly close it just because you don't like where it's going.  If the thread wants to die on it's own, so be it, but I was actually pleasantly surprised that good discussion was coming out of this.

Offline Friend

• View Profile

Re: Pattern Recognition

Reply #11 on: February 26, 2016, 08:57:44 pm
i agree with indigo.

in addition, I suggest you work on your writing skills. 

I love that you have a desire to start discussions and voice your opinion on topics, but your writing is usually incredibly hard to follow and/or excessively bloated.  It seems like you treat your writing as just a way to spill out your thoughts exactly as they come to you.  The problem is when people ruminate on complex topics, the though process usually lacks a logic flow, organization and clarity.  It is up to the writer to make sure that by the time you actually submit your discussion topic that you have taken the time to properly organize and edit your thoughts in a way you think is best to communicate your ideas and eliminate needless details. 

You actually asked in your writing for the reader to try and see things your way, but your writing style isn't doing the reader any favors!

Some tips:

In introducing your topic, make it as short as possible.  Paint it in black and white.  After everyone is on the same page, you can then go in greater depth.  In other words, Pose your "so what"? immediately or as soon as possible.  After the so what is established is when you can go into the hows wheres whens etc.

immediately interest the reader with a powerful, important or worthwhile introduction that relates to your topic.

Don't try to be fancy unless it somehow reinforces your ideas.

Try not to jump between ideas but rather make them transition in a logical way.

a quick way to do incorporate these ideas is to try to imagine you are trying to explain something to a 12 year old.  Can they follow?  Will they give up before figuring out what you're saying?
------

I hope this helps.

« Last Edit: February 26, 2016, 08:59:29 pm by Friend »