AuthorTopic: [C+C] [WIP] Flamingo  (Read 1990 times)

Offline tsej

• View Profile
    • Art and Code

[C+C] [WIP] Flamingo

on: February 26, 2016, 01:46:34 pm
Hi! I'm trying to learn pixelart. 
I tried to paint a flamigo.

Here's the process, more or less.

Any C+C is appreciated. I'd love to improve it and learn more. Be as harsh as you want!
« Last Edit: February 26, 2016, 01:58:48 pm by tsej »
Correct me if I'm wrong

Offline Seiseki

• Starmancer
    • OminuxGames
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/35207.htm
    • StarmancerGame
    • View Profile
    • Starmancer Patreon

Re: [C+C] [WIP] Flamingo

Reply #1 on: February 26, 2016, 04:13:21 pm
I feel like the direction of the shading on the back implies feathers aligned in the wrong direction.
I also think the palette need more contrast between and/or removal of colors that are too similar.

The back looks a bit like a steak :D
You should look at ways of implying feathers, without going too detailed.

Dumping a reference here for comparison. Look at the flow of feathers.
The pose is different in this one, but looking at other references as well, it seems the area where the neck connects is important that it's at the bottom and that the body sorta bulges up above it, the body shouldn't smoothly turn into the neck.

Also holy crap flamingos have freaky anatomy..

Offline Ambivorous

• If you can't do; inspire.
    • ambivorous
    • ambivorous
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/47949.htm
    • ambivorous
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: February 26, 2016, 05:11:26 pm
Hello tsej!

I has made edits for you:

(Oh ho that forum background hiding his feet.)

As pointed out there were some problems with the anatomy of your bird, although this is not as important as it might seem, because your piece looks unmistakably like a flamingo and that is what the important part is. None the less, I fixed some of the anatomy errors in my edit. Your one knee was a little low and your bird's torso was the incorrect shape. It looks more like a typical cartoon water droplet. The head was also not perfect, but your head actually looks more like what my mind believed a flamingo looks like and my edit doesn't actually help make it seem more like a flamingo.

Your main issue was inconsistent light source and not defining the forms enough. Defining the forms just means you imagine the object in a simplified, 3D state in your mind and imagine how it would be lit by your lightsource.
The best example of this is the body. In your example your body looks a little flat because you've shaded your feathers and texture without limiting the amount of light that each area can receive due to it's super-shape (the big, simplified, 3D shape on which your texture lies).
In my edit I first shaded my cartoon raindrop and then I added some texture to it. And I didn't draw outlines or complete any of the textures (there is no full feather in my edit), I've only hinted at the existence of some feathers. This is imperative because with pixels we simply do not have enough space at our disposal to draw entire shapes and spend a lot of time just implying them instead.

Whenever you attempt to pixel something first render it as a totally boring, textureless, single coloured mass and then worry about adding colours and textures later. Then remember to only put out as little information as possible to imply a change of colour or detail on top of your base.
Just doing studies like this works really well as well, so do keep it up.
* may contain misinformation

Offline tsej

• View Profile
    • Art and Code

Reply #3 on: February 26, 2016, 06:36:00 pm
Hello again. 
Sei : I see it. I'm so bad, lol. I have tried to fix the anatomy. 
Ambi : I love you, man. Your edits have helped me the most so far. It's amazing. I have tried to shade using your colors and technique and redid the painting. 
The right one is yours and the left one is the one I'm working on. Still need to fix a lot of shading issues though. 

Thanks again for taking your time to help me!
Correct me if I'm wrong